ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 19 February 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 19 February 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:03:51 -0800

Dear All,

Please note that the next Policy and Implementation Working Group
teleconference is scheduled for Wednesday 05th March 2014 at 20:00 UTC

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working group
call held on Wednesday 19 February 2014 at 20:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140219-en.mp3

 On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#feb

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Philip Marano – IPC  (also in for Brian Winterfeldt – IPC)

Michael Graham – IPC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC

Alan Greenberg – ALAC

J.Scott Evans – BC

Greg Shatan – IPC

Klaus Stoll - NPOC

Tom Barrett – RrSG

Nic Steinbach – RrSG

Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC

Tom Barrett Encirca - RrSG

Kristina Rosette - IPC

Amr Elsadr –NCUC

Wolf Knoben - ISPCP

Apology:

Chuck Gomes – RySG

Marie-Laure Lemineur – NPOC

Mary Wong

ICANN staff:

Amy Bivins

Marika Konings

Glen De Saint Gery

Terri Agnew

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 19  February 2014:

   Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group meeting
of 19 February 2014

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:my internet is spotty.  i will be calling in

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Michael has not activated his AC mic

  Nathalie  Peregrine:I KNOW!

  Greg Shatan:I am on call and in Adobe (obviously....)

  Marika Konings:Apologies as well from Mary for today's meeting

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Noted!

  Wolf Knoben:Is policy implementation the right passcode?

  Nathalie  Peregrine:It is

  J. Scott:yes wolf

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Please mention ICANN if there is an issue

  Nathalie  Peregrine:I am raising a ticket about this, apologies for the
inconvenience

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:back

  Alan Greenberg:Good luck on staying.

  Wolf Knoben:I was calling the wrong operator

  Nathalie  Peregrine:I'll cancel that ticket for now :)

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Amr Elsadr has joined the AC room

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I have had this "not getting through to my Number  issues
before "  as has Holly I think it has to do with  some auto system they use
humans always get through it seems

  Amr Elsadr:Sorry for being late. Dialling in now.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry that last was for Nathalie  not the WG

  Amr Elsadr:"thick" whois IRT.

  Alan Greenberg:I think that we have consistantly been using IRTs since PEDNR.

  Amr Elsadr:A potential substitute for GNSO Consensus: A position where, only
a small minority disagrees, but most agree after all views on a matter have
been expressed, understood, documented and discussed to the satisfaction of the
participants of a GNSO Working Group.

  Michael Graham:I agree with Alan's suggestion re:  completion rather than
time. (sorry for not using his exact term that I agree with.

  Michael Graham:could agree with Amr revision.

  J. Scott:Amr's definition could be a slippery slope.  the disagreable parties
are never going be satisfied.

  Michael Graham:@JScott concern noted.

  Amr Elsadr:@J. Scott: The definition includes "small minority disagrees" and
"all views on a matter have been expressed, understood, documented" in
reference to Avri's previous comment of documenting and reporting minority
statements.

  J. Scott:Isn't at length superfluous?  Just delete it.

  Michael Graham:+1

  Amr Elsadr:I'm also fine with just removing at length.

  Amr Elsadr:@Michael: +1. It doesn't seem like a bad place to start at the
time being.

  Nic Steinbach:from a procedural standpoint - how will the definitions change
after that deadline?

  Greg Shatan:On no. 6, "all views" is a little strong -- perhaps a "range of
views" would be better.

  Nic Steinbach:instead of change, I should say "evolve"

  Michael Graham:agree

  Nic Steinbach:question answered. thanks.

  Michael Graham:have to leave adobe -- phone off in 15.  thanks to all on
definitions subteam and commenters.  thanks!

  Kristina Rosette:Sorry. Had to drop temporarily.  May I suggest that, where
we're adopting a definition that is different from a definition used elsewhere
in ICANN that we flag the fact that we're doing so?  for example, definition #6
includes the GNSO Working Group guidelines defiinition, but expands beyond it
to include other material from the WG Guidelines.  It would be helpful to note
that somewhere for "legislative history" purposes.  Otherwise, it has the
potential to become very confusing in the future.

  Marika Konings:@Kristina, we've put the quoted language between " " and added
the following footnote to clarify that this specific part of from the GNSO WG
Guidelines (see footnote nr. 7)

  Greg Shatan:Agree with Kristina and as a member of the subteam on the SCI
with Amr.  There are formal GNSO Definitions and then there are our own
'working definitions".

  Marika Konings:Greg, that same footnote also clarifies that 'In addition to
“consensus” there are also also other designations referring to degrees of
agreement defined in a GNSO context such as: full consensus; and strong support
but significant opposition. For further details, please see section 3.6 of the
GNSO Working Group Guidelines. Also note that consensus may have different
meanings outside of the GNSO context.'

  Amr Elsadr:If we do present an update on the working definitions, we might
want to briefly explain why we decided to leave out some of the terms suggested
to be defined during the BA f2f.

  Alan Greenberg:@Amr, sure, but I don't think that we need to dwell on it.

  Amr Elsadr:@Alan. Absolutely agree. Just a suggestion in case some of the
same folks who made those suggestions are present.