ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 14th May 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 14th May 2014
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 01:00:06 -0700

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
for  in two weeks' time on Wednesday 28th May 2014 at 1900 UTC for 1,5 hrs.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 14th May 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140514en.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may> may

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Greg Shatan - IPC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Alan Greenberg - ALAC

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Avri Doria - NCSG

Phil Kanofsky - IPC

Seun Ojedeji - NCUC

Apologies:

Anne Aikman- Scalese - IPC

Nic Steinbach - RrSG

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Steve Chan

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie Peregrine

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 14h May

  Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group
Meeting of 14 May 2014

  Chuck Gomes:We will need to zoom in on a couple columns at at time to make
this readable.

  Chuck Gomes:I am waiting for an operator.

  Mary Wong:Let us know when you're in.

  Marika Konings:You can zoom in by using the -/+ signs at the bottom

  Alan Greenberg:Waiting to get on bridge. I just sent some small changes to
the spreadsheet to the list. BUt I can talk about them when we get there.

  Marika Konings:but it may be easier to look at it on your own screen

  Chuck Gomes:I will do that but others may not be able to do it.

  Marika Konings:I've uploaded the version that Alan just sent

  Chuck Gomes:The operator is very slow again.

  Marika Konings:I can also take control and zoom in for everyone

  Alan Greenberg::-)

  Chuck Gomes:I'm in.

  Alan Greenberg:on now

  Greg Shatan:I just got in as well.

  Marika Konings:If you haven't taken the poll yet, you can still do so:
http://doodle.com/mbeakbr7xwruk667

  Alan Greenberg:Before we start, thanks to staff who did an immense amount
of work to get us this chart.

  Avri Doria:btw, on the meeting stuff.  i out down that i did not care
about weekly versus every other week.  well i should care as i have another
meeting in this time slot weekly, and it would be better if i only missed
half of those.

  Alan Greenberg:+_ only goes to 400% which is just bareley readable on my
large screen...

  Avri Doria:so i have changed my 'vote'

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Seun Ojedeji has joined the call

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I am only in the AC room watching brief no audio input
as I am on another call Chairing it in fact :-) :-)

  Olevie:Hi everyone !

  Avri Doria:or we can append one to our defnitions from earlier in this
project,

  Avri Doria:the one person could be a caretaker, whose may skill is knowing
who else to contact.

  Avri Doria:... whose main skill ...

  Avri Doria:i think WG is importnat becasue we have guidelines for those.

  Olevie:i'm back

  Alan Greenberg:PDT is already a defined term in ICANN.  ;-)

  Avri Doria:the current WG can eb done lightweight.

  Avri Doria:i like the idea of a std template charter, just plug in the
question sent by the board.

  Avri Doria:we need to have the diversity and breadth for accountability.

  Mary Wong:@Avri, I'm not expressing a (staff) preference; just seeking
clarity. One possible issue for flexibility and speed is the fact that GNSO
WGs need to decide according to the specified Consensus Levels.

  Avri Doria:yeah, i am not recommening we give up bottom up consensus
building.

  Mary Wong:In other words, is the group talking about a lightweight version
of the current WG structure/guidelines or an additional, different,
alternative?

  Alan Greenberg:I would suggest that we not use the term WG. The process to
set up and charter a formal WG takes longer than the entire time allocated
to some recent "guidance" processes.

  Avri Doria:that i would be loathe to do. voting is at the council level,
and i dont waan to see that change.

  Avri Doria:you may not , i do

  Avri Doria:yeah, we could define the template.

  Avri Doria:those are PDPD not WG

  Avri Doria:meeting times is not part of WG guidelines, it is gnso practice

  Avri Doria:all those time outs for specific outside processes are drive by
the PDP, not the wg guidelines.

  Avri Doria:... times out ...

  Avri Doria:i think we have to call it a WG.

  Avri Doria:i just recently reread the WG guidelines.  i dont see a
problem.

  Avri Doria:the GNSO WG is our brand.  lets no abandon it.

  Avri Doria:why, i think we have even used the WG guidelines in non GNSO
wg.

  Avri Doria:chartering is solved by the template.

  Avri Doria:and we dont want to get rid of consensus.

  Alan Greenberg:Annex A allows for PDPs to be done using some other model
than a WG, but that does not remove the reporting and PC requirements. That
are part of the PDP, not the WG model.

  Avri Doria:we can define 'lightweight' in the template.

  Alan Greenberg:WE are getting close to the point where we need to talk
about meeting schedules

  Mary Wong:@Avri I should have prob said chartering and composition of such
a group.

  Avri Doria:chartering is just a vote.

  Avri Doria:compostion shold be diverse and yes there should be rep from
every GNSO SG.

  Mary Wong:QUESTION: would the RC-IOC Drafting Team (not the consequent PDP
WG) be a prime candidate for the model we are discussing?

  Avri Doria:Mary, i think so

  Mary Wong:@Avri, yes but a Charter still needs to be drafted and
discussed. Even if staff produces the initial draft, that could still add to
the time people may need to deliberate and redraft ...

  Avri Doria:of coursde an IRT could, it is just that they would have to
recommend that to the council.

  Avri Doria:if the charter is a tmeplate - use by just filling i tht e
question, is trivial.

  Avri Doria:Mary, and of course if there is a desire to delay, then no
process is fast, not can any process be made fast.  thee are an infinite
number of ways to delay.

  Alan Greenberg:I thought we were using the term MS meaning an Opportunity
to be MS, not requiring participation.

  Avri Doria:a few of us could volunteer to create a sample template.
charter.

  Avri Doria:i will play the charter game.

  Greg Shatan:I will also play

  Greg Shatan:Need to improve hand management skills....

  Alan Greenberg:http://doodle.com/mbeakbr7xwruk667

  Seun:2 people for weekly 90min

  Avri Doria:with every other week mtgs if needs be, ad hoc subgroups
working on a task can meet during the intermediate week.

  Seun:May i suggest we have weekly meetings when its 1 month to f2f

  Avri Doria:gives 2 longer drrafting periods

  Avri Doria:sure, if we want ignore thepreference

  Seun:yes

  Greg Shatan:I would favor Alan's suggestion; I think we would get more
done...

  Alan Greenberg:Chuck, time for an executive decision.

  Mary Wong:We will change the calendar and send out a note on the new
schedule.

  Avri Doria:even if we all just spent 90 minutes week working on an issue
instead of jawboning, we would get more done.

  Avri Doria:90 minute during intermediate week.

  Seun:Thanks

  Seun:bye