ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 10 September 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 10 September 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:49:44 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 17 September at 19:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 10 September 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140910-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140910-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Greg Shatan-IPC

J Scott Evans - BC

Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC

Tom Barrett - RrSG

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Avri Doria-NCSG

Apologies:

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

ICANN staff:

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Marika Konings

Karen Lentz

Berry Cobb

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 10 September

  Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation WG Meeting of 10
September 2014

  tom barrett - EnCirca:i will be switching from adobe to the call

  Avri Doria:deferentiate between implementation and how implementation is
done.

  Marika Konings:Charter question 3 says 'A framework for implementation
related discussions associated with GNSO Policy Recommendations;'

  Mary Wong:Clarification - the current framework is a codification of
what's been developed to date as implementation practices (including
experiences with the few IRTs that we have had) and some
questions/suggestions for this WG to consider in developing its
recommendations.

  Mary Wong:ie we did not mean to give the impression that the proposed
framework is something merely informational for this WG and unchangeable
except by staff

  J. Scott:I am not sure it existed at the formation of this group

  Mary Wong:@J Scott, that is correct - if it had we would certainly have
included it as one of the background documents for WG review and discussion!

  Terri Agnew:Olevie Kouami has joined audio

  Avri Doria:i forget, did we define bottom-up?

  Mary Wong:@Avri, the Working Definitions document has this for the term
"Bottom Up in a GNSO PDP"

  Mary Wong:An organizational framework or structure for organizational
governance or policymaking which aims to bring together all stakeholders
affected by such governance or policymaking to cooperate and participate in
the dialogue, decision making and implementation of solutions to identified
problems or goals.The Multistakeholder Model adopted by ICANN, is composed
of diverse self-selected Internet stakeholders from around the world
organized or self-organized into various Supporting Organizations,
Constituencies and Advisory Committees, and utilizes a bottom-up,
consensus-based policy development processes, open to anyone willing to
participate.A fundamental principle of ICANN's participation and policy
development decision-making process whereby policy and organizational
decisions and analysis progress from analysis to policy not from the Board
down, but from stakeholders, Internet users, companies, and anyone who
wishes to participate in the process up to the Board.  The process provides
the opportunity for equal

  Avri Doria:so in other words , this is raw material for us to talk about
at this point?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:My version of Objective 4.  says "Provide a framework
for implementation work that is predictable, consistent, efficient and
timely and that includes appropriate  multi-stakeholder feedback

  Mary Wong:Sorry, last sentence got cut off: ".  The process provides the
opportunity for equal participation from all levels from the involved
organizations, as practical and possible."

  Mary Wong:@Anne, it may be a semantic difference but the Deliverables from
the WG are actually "Recomemndations that are expected to provide a
framework etc. etc."

  Marika Konings:@Anne - the charter says 'The Policy & Implementation
Working Group is tasked to provide the GNSO Council with a set of
recommendations on ..... A framework for implementation related discussions
associated with GNSO Policy Recommendations'

  Avri Doria:right the definiton of bottomup process includes the undefined
term bottom-up.  - i though that is what i remembered.

  Mary Wong:@Avri, yes I believe so - and that was picked up again in the
opening sections of the other document, on Working Principles, I believe.

  Avri Doria:and if we recommend it be changed?

  Mary Wong:@Avri, IIRC that may also be why the term is specifically
conditined to "bottom up in a GNSO PDP" for the Definitions.

  Avri Doria:yep

  Mary Wong:@Avri, yes - descriptive of what is already being done

  Marika Konings:@Avri - correct

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that is what I understand @avri

  Karen Lentz:correct

  Mary Wong:Yes - so, e.g. if the WG in reviewing this descriptive doc finds
gaps, it can identify them and perhaps suggest how they can be
improved/addressed.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:figured that was the point of us having this chat

  Mary Wong:These are some Working Principles this WG agreed on that may be
helpful here:

  Mary Wong:3. Implementation should be regarded as an integral and
continuing part of the process rather than an administrative follow-on, and
should be seen as a process that allows for dialogue and collaboration
between those implementing the policy and those that developed it and/or are
affected by the implementation. 4.       Whilst implementation processes as
such need not always function in a purely bottom-up manner, in all cases the
relevant policy development body (e.g., the chartering organization) must
have the opportunity to be involved during implementation, to provide
guidance  on the implementation of the policies as recommended by the GNSO].

  Amy Bivins:noted, Avri--I will add that

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good catch /avri

  Karen Lentz:agreed - accountability is mentioned elsewhere but should be
up top

  Marika Konings:Don't worry, we will ;-)

  Avri Doria:i agree on the imporantce of disagreement

  Karen Lentz:thanks Chuck - that is our intention

  Mary Wong:An IRT is currently not mandatory, but the GNSO Council has
increasingly requested that one be used, recently.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Is it Implementation Review or Implementation
Recommendation and why the change in terms?

  Amy Bivins:Ann, that was a typo, I'll change it in the document

  Amy Bivins:Sorry, Anne :)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I have a 1 pm conference call.  Can we please end on
time?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:IF PDP says Implementation Review TEam and this just
reflects currrent practice, why does this doc say "Implementation
Recommendation Team"?

  Amy Bivins:Anne--see above, that was a typo and will be corrected

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks Amy..  Sorrry but I must drop off the call.
This stuff is important - hope we can take it up again next week.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Bye all.

  Avri Doria:currently the method of rasing the intent varaince flag is
twitter and glogs.

  Avri Doria:blogs, though glog is nice too.

  Marika Konings::-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:we kicked off a few mi s late Chu/k. so were doing OK

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:terri. note. I am in hotel all next week for dial outs.
will advise details after check in

  Karen Lentz:thanks all

  tom barrett - EnCirca:bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye