ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 17 September 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 17 September 2014
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:44:58 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 24 September at 19:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 17 September 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140917-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Greg Shatan-IPC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Avri Doria-NCSG

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Michael Graham - IPC

Jonathan Frost - RySG

Apologies:

Mary Wong

ICANN staff:

Amy Bivins

Marika Konings

Karen Lentz

Berry Cobb

Steve Chan

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 17 September

   Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group
Meeting of 17 September 2014

  Olevie:i've joined

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Stephanie Perrin has joined the AC room

  Alan Greenberg:hVE TO STEP AWAY FOR A MOMENT

  Jonathan Frost:Stepping away momentarily also

  Michael R. Graham:Following is an attempt to conform Avri's "first
noticer" rationale with Alan's "final responsibility" concern: "In any case
where the [Staff, or GNSO or its representative or IRT determines that the]
intention of the GNSO, as interpreted [or applied] by the ICANN Staff, does
not correspond to a strict interpretation of the recommendation text itself,
the Staff should [be required to] consult with the GNSO for clarification."

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika:  Is it more "understanding" than
"interpretation"?

  Olevie:There is a difference

  Greg Shatan:Waiting to get in....

  Avri Doria:understanding is more subjective that interpretation.  i
beleive people know when they are deviating from strict interpretation of
words on a page.

  Stephanie Perrin:sorry dropped off for a while, no idea why...

  Alan Greenberg:bck - sorry got a phone call I had to take.

  Avri Doria:... subjective than interprettation ...

  Olevie:interpretation

  Alan Greenberg:WhAR SECTION ARE WE AT?

  Marika Konings:II. B

  Alan Greenberg:What...

  Alan Greenberg:Thanks

  Olevie:it's more objective

  Michael R. Graham:@Avri -- I would agree, except I believe
"interpretation" is an application of subjective understanding in a more
formatlized way.

  Avri Doria:alan we are dealing with your objection to my offered
rewording.

  Avri Doria:i did not say constructivist interpetation

  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- I'd put "strict interpretation" in the same
verbal/rhetorical purgatory and "original intention".

  Michael R. Graham:"as" not "and" -- sorry

  Greg Shatan:Don't know what constructivist interpretation is....

  Olevie:@Greg : thre is a non-constructivist interpretation

  Jonathan Frost:+1 on congrats

  Avri Doria:of course i meant constructionsit.  but thowing in privacy into
the discussion was brilliant polemics.

  Karen Lentz:Agreed on congratulations to Alan

  Michael R. Graham:+1

  Avri Doria:i beleive that strict interpretation means doing whatt the
words on the paper say.

  Avri Doria:and that is what i think should be the standard.

  Olevie:+1 @Avri

  Avri Doria:and any deviation requires discussion

  Michael R. Graham:@Avri -- Where there is only a single possible
interpretation, I would agree.  But (rhetorically) how often does that
happen?

  Greg Shatan:@Olevie ; Don't know what that is either....

  Avri Doria:without an additon, yes

  Olevie:@Greg : Any non-constructivist interpretation is an understanding

  Avri Doria:if they are accountable, what sort of action can we take.  do
we ned to take?

  Avri Doria:holding the staff accountable means we can list it as an issue
oin the ATRT every 3 years.

  Michael R. Graham:@Avri -- LOL

  Greg Shatan:Unless the policy is implementable as is, there will be a need
to interpolate, expand upon and interpret the policy.

  Olevie:I agree with Greg

  Avri Doria:and if they need to interpolate they need to check bakk.  or we
need to be better at policing.

  Karen Lentz:yes - dialogue could start by either party

  Avri Doria:doubt is relative

  Avri Doria:interpolation is objective

  Greg Shatan:Interpolation is the essence of implementation.

  Greg Shatan:Extrapolation on the other hand would be an issue....

  Stephanie Perrin:how is staff held accountable?  Is it in their contracts,
or is their a policy somewhere?  Pardon my ignorance.

  Karen Lentz:@Stephanie, the Bylaws provide specify mission and core values
for ICANN's operations, as well as providing for certain accountability
mechanisms, e.g., reconsideration, ombudsman,independent review

  Karen Lentz:yes

  Olevie:The flow is normal

  Avri Doria:owenership????

  Marika Konings:@Avri - as in project owner

  Avri Doria:pardon the extra e.

  Avri Doria:i tink words like ownership might be part of the probleem.

  Avri Doria:thanks

  Avri Doria:i have multiple mutes set to avoid having another cmment escape
my lips.

  Olevie::-)

  Karen Lentz:ok with that

  Greg Shatan:It's all a question of vocabulary. Academisc , business,
lawyers, consultants all have natural vocabularies.

  Greg Shatan:just a side comment....

  Avri Doria:they can help with the interpretations?

  Avri Doria:does J mean all SO SG are equal except some are more equal than
others?

  Avri Doria:there is already SO

  Avri Doria:in E

  Avri Doria:J is inapporpaite as well as the additon of contracted parties
in the earlier line.

  Michael R. Graham:I would not add "non-contracted" but would remove the
last sentence of J -- which can be said of all members of the ICANN
community.

  Greg Shatan:@Michael: Why keep the first sentence?

  Avri Doria:it was accidnetal.  i said all i have to say in the chat.

  Michael R. Graham:Compromise -- it does describe their relation to the
implementation of policies.  But I see your point.

  Avri Doria:i agree with removing the previous reference that served to
prompt this.

  Olevie:@Avri : you've feed me with your inputs

  Olevie:Tahnk you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:remove all of j

  Greg Shatan:+1 to Animal Farm reference

  Avri Doria:remove j and the earlier reference that Chuck added.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: have to take another call I have 3 back to back today

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:got to leave just before top of the hour

  Michael R. Graham:Agree with Avri.  As to reference in D --I agree with
Chuck's concerns, but do not believe it necessary to call out contracted
parties for membership -- unless we establish a proportional or
representational membership of IRTs.

  Avri Doria:i would be happy to see implementers replace contracted
parties.

  Avri Doria:in d

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:have left audio. taking my next call bye

  Karen Lentz:Thanks Chuck - we did discuss that input and would like to
discuss further with the group - hope that can be on next call

  Greg Shatan:or Stakeholders?

  Olevie:Bye CLO

  Olevie:Thanks

  Avri Doria:bye