ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 24 September 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 24 September 2014
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:51:22 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 01 October at 19:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 24 September 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140924-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Avri Doria-NCSG

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Michael Graham - IPC

Jonathan Frost - RySG

Anne Aikman-Scalese - IPC

Tom Barrett - RrSG

Amr Elsadr - NCUC

J.Scott Evans - BC

Klaus Stoll - NPOC

Greg Shatan-IPC

Apologies:  none

ICANN staff:

Amy Bivins

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Karen Lentz

Berry Cobb

Steve Chan

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 24 September

Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group Meeting
of 24 September 2014

  J. Scott:dialing in now

  Marika Konings:https://community.icann.org/display/PIWG/Next+Meeting

  Olevie:Hi !

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I have recently updated my SOI to reflect additional
WG's I am now, in  ... no COI issues just an update to activities and within
ICANN roles

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Marika - can you please give me the exact sender
address that has to be cleared for me to receive everything you send to the
list.  This used to work and now it doesn't work anymore.  Anne

  Marika Konings:my address is marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Michael Graham has joined the call

  Marika Konings:to receive the call information, you would also need to add
ntfy-gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx

  Marika Konings:but of course there are also other staff members that may
post to the list such as Nathalie and Mary. Would it be possible to white
list any @icann.org address?

  Olevie:welcome Michael

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:@Marika - they go directtly into the appropriate file
in my Outlook and that is why I have to know all senders for Policy &
Implementation.  If not form that authorized sender, they come to my inbox
and don't go to that specific folder called ICANN Policy & Implementation -
To Read

  Amr Elsadr:Question: Is it common to have RFPs for potential 3rd party
contractors before a PDP results in an ICANN policy?

  Karen Lentz:@Amr, no - as Alan is saying it really depends on the case
involved

  Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks.

  Mary Wong:@Stephanie, the GNSO Operating Procedures cover SOIs which
partly deal with conflict declaration; there are also ICANN policies on the
topic and as for contractors they are subject to internal ICANN conflicts
policies, like employees are.

  Avri Doria:the guidebook made it a per application issue

  Avri Doria:not a per RSP issue

  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks Mary...I find the SOIs much less transparent than
what I am used to in government, but of course government has a high
threshold for ethics and the perception of conflicts

  Mary Wong:Perhaps not directly bearing on the specific point we are
discussing now, but FYI (esp for newer members) ICANN did study the question
of Ethics & CoI in 2013:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/summary-ethics-review-13may13-en
.pdf

  Mary Wong:Regarding GNSO SOIs, I believe those were developed as part of
the earlier GNSO Review implementation process. There were community-led
teams that did those.

  Alan Greenberg:zIt

  Alan Greenberg:It's not the procurement PROCESS. It is the documents
associated with the process that count.

  Karen Lentz:ok - we can fix that

  Stephanie Perrin:An RFP can definitely be a policy instrument if one is
not careful, and needs to be read with a policy eye, in my view.

  Karen Lentz:For reference, here are the ICANN procurement guidelines:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/procurement-guidelines-21feb10-e
n.pdf

  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks!

  Alan Greenberg:I'm still on the bridge but away from adobe connect

  Marika Konings:It is from 16.30 - 18.00

  Marika Konings:on Wednesday afternoon

  Marika Konings:1630 -18.00 local time

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:For anyone else who might have been wondering, the
method for downloading from the screen of whatever doc is the icon of lines
and a download arrow just to the left of the word "Agenda" on the screen.

  Chuck Gomes:We won't restrict input to in-person input in Marrakesh

  Stephanie Perrin:HOw does one change the charter though, just as a
question...we do have to remain in scope, right?

  Marika Konings:@Stephanie - it is not about changing the charter, but
changing the approach we had originally outlined in the work plan. Three of
the charter questions turn out to be much closer linked than initially
thought.

  Stephanie Perrin:ok got it, thanks!!

  Marika Konings:the high level overview can be shared and presented

  Alan Greenberg:Regardless of whether the guidance process will need to be
incorporated into the Bylaws, it is had to beleive that we will not find
SOMETHING that will need to change in the Bylaws.

  Stephanie Perrin:agree

  Marika Konings:We may need to be realistic as well about how many non-WG
members will come to the Wednesday meeting

  Alan Greenberg:ALso, although not optimal, sometimes WG reviews are not
well attended.

  Alan Greenberg:That is, reviews to the GNSO COuncil

  Mary Wong:Do note that the weekend sessions aren't just for or to the GNSO
Council, though realistically that is sometimes the case. It does allow the
Council as manager of the policy development process to get caught up on
things, but it's also an opportunity to inform the broader GNSO community.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Alan.

  Alan Greenberg:The GNSO is ALREADY doing some of the things that we are
discussing and will likely be recommending.

  Chuck Gomes:Note that Marika has her hand up

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:OK. until next week then...  bye for now

  Jonathan Frost:Thanks!

  Karen Lentz:thank you

  Avri Doria:thanks bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye