ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 29 October 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 29 October 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:26:47 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 05 November at 20:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 29 October 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20141029-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20141029-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#oct>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#oct

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Anne Aikman-Scalese - IPC

J.Scott Evans - BC

Klaus Stoll - NPOC

Carlos Raul Guitierrez - GAC

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Greg Shatan - IPC

Michael Graham - IPC

Apologies:

Avri Doria-NCSG

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Berry Cobb

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 29 October 2014

   Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group
meeting of 29 October 2014

  J. Scott:joining now.

  Chuck Gomes:I am waiting for an operator.

  Chuck Gomes:The phone is ringing.  No answer.

  J. Scott:Chuck, we just started the recording and did our roll call.

  Terri Agnew:US number:                            1-517-345-9004

  Alan Greenberg:Very impressive echo!

  Marika Konings:can you please mute your computers / phones when not
speaking

Chuck Gomes:I am going to dial in again.

  Alan Greenberg:Echos are normall weak shadows of original. This one was
stronger!

  Terri Agnew:Olevie Kouami has joined audio

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Yeah for the black text!  Thank you.

  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:also for the over 50 years old

  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:thank you for the change in font!!!!!!

  Terri Agnew:Greg Shatan and Michael Grams has joined

  Terri Agnew:**Michael Graham

  Marika Konings:I will refrain from using white font from now onwards ;-)

  Greg Shatan:Apologies for being late.

  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:staff only????

  Greg Shatan:Sorry, I could not find white font for the chat.

  Michael R. Graham:Cannot call in -- I believe IRTs should be generally
considered mandatory --

  Greg Shatan:i am now on the phone as well.

  Chuck Gomes:Well said Marika

  Marika Konings:@Chuck - with staffed you mean supported by staff, or as in
number of volunteers?

  Alan Greenberg:I presume he meant "staffed" on ther volunteer sire.

  Marika Konings:That's what I thought as well but just wanted to make sure
;-)

  Marika Konings:I think the formal concept is probably relatively new....

  Alan Greenberg:Original IRTP was before my time, but I recall we
re-invented it later@!

  Michael R. Graham:Still no phone (I can hear but not talk): I am thinking
that rather than "mandatory" we might make it mandatory for the PDP team to
consider whether to propose, and for GNSO council to consider in approving
policy for Board to propose formation of IRTs as part of P&I process.  PDP
group should also be tasked with considering guidelines for IRTs.  So . . .
Mandatory that IRT be considered, Usual Course to establish IRT, but should
be considered as part of PDP and Policy approval process.

  Chuck Gomes:Corrrect Alan. :)

  Greg Shatan:"Staffing" probably not the best word for multistakeholder
participation.

  Greg Shatan:"Populated"?

  Alan Greenberg:Reason I am stressing flrxibility is that there is a
tentancy in the GNSO to set up rigid poractices and here that may be
overkill.

  Chuck Gomes:Populated with community members + staff

  Alan Greenberg:Sorry for types. When I enter a chat comment, it is somehow
scrolling outside of the entry box and I cannot see what I am typing until I
hit enter.

  Alan Greenberg:typos.

  Greg Shatan:Flexibility is a good thing.  Don't want to be too rigid.

  Alan Greenberg:NEver seen this before

  Chuck Gomes:It might be helpful if IRTs had a liaison to each SG & C in
case feedback is needed.

  Chuck Gomes:The liaisons may not have to actively participate in the IRT
except when needed.

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika comments -- I like "except in exceptional
instances"!  And I agree IRT should review Implementation Plan -- that's
where the real issues may be raised.

  Alan Greenberg:Chuck, the new gTLD PDP was PDP06 - right?

  Chuck Gomes:@ Alan: No but they started about the same time in 2006

  Alan Greenberg:I thougth it bore that name originally.

  Chuck Gomes:I don't think so.

  Chuck Gomes:PDP06 was not on new gTLDs.

  Chuck Gomes:@ Alan:  Doesn't the new guidance process cover that?

  Alan Greenberg:Yes, most likely it does.

  Alan Greenberg:Just pointing out that the IRT *might* hae to take a detour

  Chuck Gomes:@ Michael: I think IRT guidelines shouldbe very brief.

  Alan Greenberg:If Chuck and I are vehemently agreeing with each other, we
must be right!  :-)

  Michael R. Graham:@Chuck -- My thought is: list types of things IRT should
consider in connection with the IPP (generally: does the IPP implement the
Policy as intended?) and give a few general guidelines.

  Alan Greenberg:We have had a de facto Chair - ie a lead person.

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika -- I do believe the IRT should be more
formalized in structure than having mere Liaison.

  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- "Lead Person" would be what I'm thinking is
needed.

  Mary Wong:On IRTs and policy processes - just to clarify that (unless this
WG decides otherwise in its Final Recs) it's not for the IRT to decide
whether, say, a Fast Track PDP (or other policy process) is required. Our
understanding is that an IRT that encounters a policy issue refers it back
to the chartering organization, via the liaison/Lead Person.

  Michael R. Graham:@Mary -- by "chartering organization" is meant GNSO? PDP
Working Group?

  Mary Wong:Yes, Michael - in our case, GNSO

  Michael R. Graham:Okay -- I would agree -- though I would ask IRT in doing
so to provide suggestions for dealing with issues to GNSO, and not just
"there's a problem".  GNSO Council should then decide how to respond to
notification of issue - Fast Track PDP, or other process.

  Mary Wong:@Michael, agreed - the point being though that while the IRT can
recommend it doesn't decide that particular point.

  Marika Konings:I didn't mean for the IRT necessary to go out for broader
consultations

  Chuck Gomes:The chartering group is the Council

  Mary Wong:@Anne, Chartering Organization (per the GNSO Operating
Procedures) means the group that chartered the initial Working Group, ie the
GNSO Council for GNSO Working Groups

  Marika Konings:I was thinking of it more along the lines of guidance for
staff - what additional consultations should be foreseen beyond those with
the IRT.

  Greg Shatan:IRT has to have some ability to act, although with
accountability to the stakeholder groups.

  Michael R. Graham:@Greg -- +1

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika -- Staff driving the Implementation, but IRT is
there as the Cricket conscience on the shoulder.

  Marika Konings::-)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I may be on a plane during next week's call. If on
layover, I will call in.  Thank you.

  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:thank you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks @JScott thanks all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye