ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] On the Role of a WG Chair vs. Council Liaison

• To: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] On the Role of a WG Chair vs. Council Liaison
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:56:52 -0500

Amr,

The WG guidelines have served the GNSO well, as well as other groups such as te ALAC which has taken them and loosely adapted them for their own purposes, making changes as appropriate, but wouthout formally documenting them. The GNSO has done the same, and the IRT is one such example where the general tone and intent of the guidelines is used, even when all the words do not exactly fit.

Alan

At 26/11/2014 04:37 PM, Amr Elsadr wrote:
Hi J. Scott and all,

Looking over the GNSO Working Group Guidelines, specifically sections 2.1.4.2, 2.2.1 and 2.2.4, it seems to me that the function described in section V(E) of the IRT Operating Principles is a lot more consistent with what a working group chair should be doing, and not what a council liaison's role is.

Apart from a liaison's duty to facilitate dialogue between a working group and the council, the liaison is expected to assist "the Chair as required with his/her knowledge of WG processes and practices; taking back to the CO (chartering organisation) any questions or queries the WG might have in relation to its charter and mission; and, assisting or intervening when the WG faces challenges or problems." This duty is, however, done under the assumption that there is a working group chair present who is actually responsible for management of the process (not the council liaison), including presiding over discussions and holding consensus calls.

Like I said on the call, I am not adamantly against the IRT council liaison performing the tasks outlined in this IRT operating principle, but would certainly feel that a member of the IRT selected by the IRT members would be more suitable. It was not my intent to belabour this opinion, but since the GNSO working group guidelines are being used as a reference for this decision, then I think that would support the selection of an IRT member rather than a council liaison serving in this capacity.

Thanks.

Amr

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy