ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] On the Role of a WG Chair vs. Council Liaison

  • To: gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] On the Role of a WG Chair vs. Council Liaison
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:37:30 +0100

Hi J. Scott and all,

Looking over the GNSO Working Group Guidelines, specifically sections 2.1.4.2,
2.2.1 and 2.2.4, it seems to me that the function described in section V(E) of
the IRT Operating Principles is a lot more consistent with what a working group
chair should be doing, and not what a council liaison’s role is.

Apart from a liaison’s duty to facilitate dialogue between a working group and
the council, the liaison is expected to assist “the Chair as required with
his/her knowledge of WG processes and practices; taking back to the CO
(chartering organisation) any questions or queries the WG might have in
relation to its charter and mission; and, assisting or intervening when the WG
faces challenges or problems.” This duty is, however, done under the assumption
that there is a working group chair present who is actually responsible for
management of the process (not the council liaison), including presiding over
discussions and holding consensus calls.

Like I said on the call, I am not adamantly against the IRT council liaison
performing the tasks outlined in this IRT operating principle, but would
certainly feel that a member of the IRT selected by the IRT members would be
more suitable. It was not my intent to belabour this opinion, but since the
GNSO working group guidelines are being used as a reference for this decision,
then I think that would support the selection of an IRT member rather than a
council liaison serving in this capacity.

Thanks.

Amr