ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Agenda and revised document for the next WG call on Wednesday 26 November

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Agenda and revised document for the next WG call on Wednesday 26 November
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:58:24 +0000

Dear WG members,

Please find below the proposed agenda for the next WG call, along with a few
notes from ICANN staff that we are including in the hope that it will
facilitate WG discussion and finalization of the outstanding points
regarding charter questions 3, 4 and 5. As noted on the last two WG calls,
any further comments on or concerns about the general Draft IRT Principles
(Sections I-IV) were to have been sent to the mailing list. As such, for
ease of review and reference, we have separated out the new Section V ­ the
Draft IRT Operating Principles ­ that the WG began to discuss last week. The
first attached document therefore includes only these draft operating
principles. The second attached document is the initial set of Working
Principles that the WG agreed on during our early phase of deliberations ­
it is being recirculated in the hope that it will facilitate your review and
discussion of some of the agenda points for the meeting.

Proposed Agenda ­ Policy & Implementation Working Group Meeting ­ 26
November 2014 ­ 20.00 UTC
1. Roll Call / SOI
2. Finalize draft IRT Operating Principles (attached; revised based on
discussions and suggestions from last week)
3. Continue review and discussion of questions identified to address charter
questions 3, 4 and 5 (see added questions derived from IRT review chart in
blue and additional staff notes highlighted in yellow and included in
parenthesis):
> * GNSO Implementation Review Team
>> * Currently optional, should this be mandatory (charter question 5); [STAFF
>> NOTE: this has been discussed fairly thoroughly; crossing out for now to
>> facilitate discussion of remaining questions]
>> * How is the IRT expected to operate, what is its decision-making
>> methodology, (charter question 5); [STAFF NOTE: this question is closely
>> linked to Agenda Item #2, so it is expected that much will have been covered
>> in that discussion]
>> * What additional mechanisms, if any, should be foreseen for implementation
>> related discussions (beyond those that take place with the IRT); How should
>> feedback via public comments on proposed policy language be handled where
>> attempts to changes the consensus recommendation are evident? (charter
>> question 3); [STAFF NOTE: to be picked up from where discussions ended here
>> last week]
>> * How is feedback as well as the flagging of potential issues to the GNSO
>> Council by the IRT managed, what mechanism should be used to to formally
>> 'object' (should there a way to first address this in the IRT or is there an
>> immediate need to escalate to GNSO Council)?  (charter question 4 & 5)
>> * Composition - How to balance the need between expert input / participation
>> and ensuring that participants are familiar with the original policy
>> recommendations and PDP WG deliberations?, What is the appropriate level of
>> knowledge for participation in an IRT?  (charter question 5)
>> * Could/should an IRT or implementation effort proceed if even after outreach
>> there are not sufficient qualified volunteers to ensure that key affected
>> parties are participating? (charter Question 5)
> * Implementation project plan
>> * Determine if/how/when the IRT is involved and how consultations with staff
>> should take place, if specific guidance is deemed necessary (Charter Question
>> 3)
>> * How to maintain continuity in the issue even if the development of the
>> implementation plan takes longer than originally anticipated? (charter
>> question 3)
> * GNSO Council [STAFF NOTE: some of this is expected to be covered by the
> forthcoming discussion on the draft manuals pertaining to the Guidance,
> Expedited PDP and Input Processes]
>> * What process(es) is (are) to be used for addressing implementation / policy
>> issues raised by the IRT (charter question 4)
>> * What role does the Board play, if any, in addressing implementation
>> concerns from the GNSO Council (charter question 3 & 4)
4. Next steps / confirm next meeting

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong