ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] RE: Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 19 November 2014

  • To: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] RE: Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 19 November 2014
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:17:52 +0000

After listening to the recording I want to share a couple of my thoughts
regarding last week's P&I WG:

.         I thought it was a very productive meeting and I especially
enjoyed J. Scott's humor.

.         I disagree with what I understood to be a suggestion that IRTs
need to be broadly representative.  I agree that they should be fully open
for all groups to be represented and that should be encouraged.  But in some
cases there is not a need to be fully representative and some groups simply
aren't interested enough to commit the time, understanding that they will
have a say before the final implementation plan is approved.  A case in
point is the IRTP.  Although it wasn't specifically called that at the time,
an IRT was formed to develop an implementation for the original IRTP about
10 years ago. Even though it was open to people from all groups, it ended up
being made up almost exclusively of registrars and that worked out very
well.  In cases like this, it can be more important to have operational
expertise than broad representation.

Chuck