ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 14 January 2015

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 14 January 2015
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 00:55:15 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
in two weeks on Wednesday 28 January 2015 at 20:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 14 January 2015 at 19:30 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-14jan15-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jan>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jan

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Greg Shatan - IPC

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Tom Barrett - RrSG

J.Scott Evans - BC

Michael Graham - IPC

Anne Aikman-Scalese - IPC

Apologies:

Amr Elsadr - NCUC

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Karen Lentz

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 14 January 2015

    Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group
meeting of 14 January 2015

  Alan Greenberg:Low attendance good. Time to make a cup of coffee!

  Alan Greenberg:In the interest of full disclosure, I have not doe my
homework or read the current document...

  Marika Konings:Please note that Michael's edits are not incorporated in
this version.

  Terri Agnew:Welcome J Scott Evans

  J. Scott Evans:Sorry to be late

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I support the  survey approach

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Tom Barrett

  Greg Shatan:@Alan, where has the view been seen?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'm quite happy with that (still complex)  sentence.
@chuck. but I do agree with Alan's point. if we can wordsmith an edit

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:the  word that needs to be changed is "originate"

  Marika Konings:but the decisioins and analysis do originate with the
community according to the definition. I don't think that conflicts with the
Board initiating a conversation....

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:"lie with"  instead of originate

  J. Scott Evans:Why don't we ask a question on the survey about the
intpretation of that wording?

  Michael R. Graham:@Cheryl -- I do think virtually anything can be
misinterpreted -- either by accident or intent -- to create a controversy.

  Marika Konings:This is only the definition of bottom up, nothing else....

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:footnote (depending on text) is vine but me

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:"whereby development of policy recommendations  etc
...originates with

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:agree with Chuck subject to agreeement on definition
of bottom-up

  Alan Greenberg:Suggested new def'n of Bottom up.

  Alan Greenberg:A fundamental principle of ICANN's participation and policy
development decision-making process whereby the formulation of analyses,
policy, organizational analysis and decisions originate with stakeholders
who participate in the process and then develop recommendations for
consideration by the broader community and ultimately by the Board as
applicable.  The request to consider such processes may come from anywhere
within ICANN, or even from outside of ICANN. The processes used are designed
to provide equal opportunity for participation by all Stakeholders as
practically possible

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Getting there Alan!  I would delete first "analyses"
because we later say organizational analysis and then "originate" should be
"orginates" because  the subject of the sentence is "formulation"  ( I
think)  Anne

  Alan Greenberg:I think originate is correct because the subject is a list
of things.  " They originate" sounds correct. to me.

  Alan Greenberg:Agree to eliminate the first "analyses, "

  J. Scott Evans:Anne has lost me.

  Mary Wong:Just to clarify, at the moment, if the Board disagrees with the
GNSO's policy recommendations, the Bylaws already have a provision for how
this is to be tackled.

  Mary Wong:See, e.g., Section 9 of Annex A:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/bylaws-2012-02-25-en#AnnexA

  J. Scott Evans:Alan.  Thanks for your candor.

  Marika Konings:@Alan - that is indeed what is recommended - those
processes that require Board action are included in the Bylaws.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I would suggest that in the description of the GGP,
next to that last sentence, add the following "such as where the ICANN Board
declines to follow GNSO policy recommendations."

  Marika Konings:@Anne - that does not make any sense as such a situation is
already dealt with in the PDP.

  Alan Greenberg:@Marika, yes, but I realized that is somewhat at odds with
what I said at the start of this call and wanted to make that clear.

  J. Scott Evans:I am going to have to run catch a plane.

  J. Scott Evans:Thanks to everyone for their time and their patience.

  Greg Shatan:Ann, I don't think the GGP has any connection to the PDP
process.

  Terri Agnew:goodbye J Scott safe travels

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I am just trying to understand how Board is required
to go back to GNSO when it makes an implementation decision.  Just using the
hypo from real life - Jeff's letter to the Board that GNSO sent and am not
sure where it says Board would have to come back to GNSO.  Maybe we are
saying that doesn't matter because GNSO initiates.

  Alan Greenberg:BEFORE WE END, revised Bottom up def'n: A fundamental
principle of ICANN's participation and policy development decision-making
process whereby the formulation of analyses, policy, organizational analysis
and decisions originate with stakeholders who participate in the process and
then develop recommendations for consideration by the broader community and
ultimately by the Board as applicable.  The request to consider such
processes may come from anywhere within ICANN, or even from outside of
ICANN. The processes used are designed to provide equal opportunity for
participation by all Stakeholders as practically possible.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:OK with that @alan

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:@Alan - good from my standpoint if analyses are
actually separate from organizational anaysis.  Are we speaking of issue
analyses or policy analyses or bothg?

  Alan Greenberg:@Anne, I find the entire thing far too wordy as it is, so I
am happy to make the reduction you suggested.

  Alan Greenberg:I need to leave for another meeting now.

  Terri Agnew:goodbye Alan and Cheryl

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:not really rid of me yet :-)

  Michael R. Graham:Agree with Alan's revised definition -- noting that
clarity of brief phrases requires complexity commensurate with the
significance of the phrase.

  Michael R. Graham:Gold stars? ;-)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks everyone!

  Marika Konings:Maybe we could have a meeting on 28 January to plan for the
Singapore meeting?

  Marika Konings:Anne - that edit will be included as agreed to during
today's meeting.

  Marika Konings:the idea is that no further substantive edits are made

  Marika Konings:30 minutes have currently been allocated

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks Chuck.  Great job finaliszing!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good call thanks all will do my best with survey but
travelling

  Mary Wong:Bye everyone, great work!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye for now