ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez <crg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:27:04 -0600

Dear Chuck,

sorry but i was away from my PC this morning and could not go back to the
GGP/GIP/EPDP definitions. My answer to your last question is basically yes:

There should a clearer argument why this requests go back to the original
source, and not to higher (appellate?) instance, and
Why it differs from the review a redress path (is it for speed? cost? else?)
that is being thoroughly reviewed somewhere else right now
There should be a minimum threshold of the arguments for the request,
explaining why is there need for the clarification, and not just another run at
trying to change decisions in retrospect. And it should come from affected
parties directly.
The threshold should increase from GGP to GIP, and even more to EPDP. I’m
afraid there will be more controversy with the last one.
Are the groups proposed to deal with all this GGP/GIP/EPDP work be sustainable
over time, representative of the community, or do they risk to be captured by
other parts of the system, so the can delegate their responsibility?
There should also be a recognition that the world became much more complex,
with the jump form 30 to a 1’000 Domain Names, and that the GNSO is not going
to be the solving all issues that will arise in the future, PARTICULARLY if the
GDD or the Compliance functions have NOT done there work in a proper manner.
And don’t get me wrong here, the separation of power i’m talking about is
“horizontal” between the different steps in the policy to contract to business
process
If there is a (what I would call a ) “vertical" problem between GNSO and Board
as you mention, then a pdp will not solve it

To put it in a nutshell, my impression is that we need a clearer and compelling
argument ready to the question that will certainly pop up at some point: If the
GNSO did his work right in the first place, why do we need this new stuff???

And here the length of the document does not cover lack of the background  you
know so well,  but newbies like me with just 5 years in the backbench don’t
fully understand. And you are right on another thing: I didn’t like the survey
questionnaire. Just by agreeing to all individual elements, can we
automatically can assume the whole effort is on solid ground. Economists get
burned easily by marginal analysis that looks only at the cost of the last unit
produced.

Thank you very much

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez

email: crg@xxxxxxxxxxx