ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

RE: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: 'Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez' <crg@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: "Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 17:13:43 +0000

Carlos and Chuck,
I have been following this thread to some degree and wanted to make some
comments before tomorrow’s call:

1.       I do not think that the WG proposals expand GNSO “discretionary
powers” in any way.  As I understand it, we are simply providing more
standardized mechanisms for providing GNSO input and policy-making/implantation
 processes so that the processes that get followed are not so “ad hoc” (as were
those that we studied at the beginning of our work).  In my view, increasing
the standardization of the processes will lead to more trust in the community.
In other words, these processes themselves create “checks and balances” in the
system (per Carlos’ comment) because it is assumed that one of the three
standard processes will in fact fit the changed circumstances or need to
address issues during the implementation phase.  As we all know, some of these
“changed circumstances” arise due to late-breaking facts (e.g. name collision)
or to late-breaking advice (e.g. in the case of the GAC.)  Our assumption must
be that these things will occur and we need to be prepared to address them in a
systematic fashion as they arise.

2.       Per my comments on the last call, I still think the WG should not
continue to pretend that only the GNSO makes policy.  One need only look at
issues like GAC Safeguards, IGO/NGO, and two letter registrations at the second
level to develop a full appreciation of how policy really works in ICANN.  GNSO
is the primary policy-making body but the policy GNSO makes is a matter of
recommendations.  If this were not so, there would not be a provision in the
By-Laws which states that there is a Board voting threshold for acting against
a GNSO policy recommendation.  We are not going to change this through the
efforts of our WG because we cannot stop the special position of GAC advice
under the By-Laws or stop the fact that governments legislate and SOs and
Committees other than the GAC do not make binding laws.  Then there is the fact
that certain groups, e.g. ALAC, do not have a vote on the GNSO, but certainly
have the ability to influence policy and make policy recommendations directly
to the Board (e.g. with respect to a letter to the Board recommending
“freezing” certain gTLDs that carry higher consumer risk.)  Either the WG is
recommending processes in which the entire community can participate or it is
acting in a GNSO “vacuum”.  I had thought the intent of our WG was to supply
work that would be helpful to the entire community.  (Thus, I do not like the
suggested RySG proposed change in principles which states that the GNSO
reserves the right to challenge implementation, rather than the principle that
the community reserves the right to challenge implementation.  Based on the new
standardized procedures we are recommending, any other body within ICANN should
be able to bring an issue to the GNSO in order to initiate a challenge.  It
would be a great result if the GAC ultimately decided to pursue one of its
issues through a GNSO process.  (They may say I’m a dreamer.)

3.       I agree that “separation of powers” is one reason the WG was formed.
The community reacted to the fact that it was unwilling to let the ICANN Board
and staff determine implementation issues that might raise policy
considerations.  Then the WG determined that if there are issues during
implementation, what is most important is NOT how the issue is characterized,
but rather, does ICANN itself have efficient means of dealing with issues as
they arise?   This is the underlying logic for the three mechanisms that are
being proposed.

4.       With respect to working out issues that arise during implementation
with other bodies within ICANN that influence policy enacted by the ICANN
Board, the need for greater coordination has certainly been recognized.  For
example, Mason is now the GAC liaison and there is a trial program in place for
involving the GAC early on in the PDP Issue Scoping phase (see notes from March
19 GNSO Council meeting).  Our WG should also be looking at how best to involve
the GAC (and other non-GNSO voting bodies) in the three new processes that are
being recommended.  For example, right now the GNSO is developing a “template”
for response to the Singapore GAC communique.  I am watching this and saying to
myself – this is EXACTLY why we need the standardized processes we have been
working on.  To my mind, in the future, the GNSO should be using the GIP or the
GGP or the EPDP to respond to the GAC Communiques and advising the Board which
of these processes should be used with respect to each issue raised by the GAC
communique.

I look forward to our continuing discussions and like all of you, am hopeful
that these recommendations can actually make the ICANN policy AND
implementation process function more smoothly, thereby increasing trust in the
DNS both inside and outside the community.

Anne

[cid:image001.gif@01D06B9B.5E1F5900]

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese, Of Counsel

Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP |

One South Church Avenue Suite 700 | Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611

(T) 520.629.4428 | (F) 520.879.4725

AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx> |
www.LRRLaw.com<http://www.lrrlaw.com/>