ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Note for the call today (Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] On Thresholds to Initiate GGP/EPDP)

  • To: gnso-policyimpl-wg <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Note for the call today (Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] On Thresholds to Initiate GGP/EPDP)
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:54:21 +0000

Hello everyone,

In preparation for our call in just a few minutes, I¹ve been asked to
recirculate the latest email discussion on the question raised by Amr and
the NCSG, regarding the ³trumping² of a PDP by either a GGP or an EPDP,
based on the fact that the suggested thresholds for initiating each is
relatively low. On the WG call last week, the members present agreed that in
situations where there may be ³competing² motions or proposals to initiate
parallel processes, the GNSO Council would need to determine the best and
most appropriate course. As such, we may wish to begin the call with a brief
discussion as to whether the proposed approach from last week is approved,
following which staff can prepare some language to share with the WG for
your review after the call.

The ³action item² Marika had inserted into the review tool for this issue
was as follows:
"Clarify that parallel efforts on similar / identical topics should be
avoided ­ if there are multiple motions on the same topic for different
processes, the Council as the manager of the process would first need to
resolve which process to use before voting on the motions. Leadership of
GNSO Council is encouraged to manage to use of these processes to minimize
potential conflicts as outlined in this comment² (from Column 5.4 of the
Review Tool)

I hope this helps with us making good progress on the call today.

Thanks and cheers,
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director