ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 15 April 2015

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 15 April 2015
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:36:33 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 22 April 2015 at 19:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working group
call held on Wednesday 15 April 2015 at 19:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-15apr15-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr

Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large
Amr Elsadr - NCUC
Alan Greenberg-ALAC
Chuck Gomes - RySG
Avri Doria - NCSG
Michael Graham - IPC
Tom Barrett - RrSG
J Scott Evans - BC
Greg Shatan - IPC

Apologies:
Marika Konings

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Amy Bivins
Karen Lentz
Steve Chan
Berry Cobb
Terri Agnew

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 15 April 2015

   Terri Agnew:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation WG meeting of 15 April
2015

  Chuck Gomes:Hello

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I am here as well

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:two calls at one is almost standard these days

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:there is the occasional 3 even *sigh*

  J. Scott Evans:I am on hold

  Amr Elsadr:Hi all.

  Mary Wong:@Chuck, I sent the email you asked for but there seems to be
something delaying my emails ...

  Avri Doria:does staff win?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:chuck your voice is quit er than the others ...might need
to adjust your mike

  Terri Agnew:Tom Barrett has joined

  Terri Agnew:Michael Graham has joined

  Chuck Gomes:Just adjusted my mike Cheryl.  Thanks.

  Avri Doria:i am surprised at the notion of there being a hierarchy.  will be
curious to see it.

  Amr Elsadr:If I recall, that was a suggestion by Alan, but he noted that he
hadn't thought it through too much.

  Avri Doria:i thought they were fit for different purposes., but find the idea
interesting.

  Mary Wong:We'll need to give it some thought, which is why Marika and I
thought it more appropriate for the list than live on the call :)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:agree @JScott

  Avri Doria:I am sure someone will be able to argue that something as not
properly considered.

  Amr Elsadr:The point made regarding the EPDP is that if there is a wish to
revisit a previously rejected policy, there should be a good reason to do so.
This would likely need to be rescoped to take into consideration issues that
weren't considered before.

  Avri Doria:Yep. I think anything could be twisted into an appropriate
pretzel.  But at some point have to trust the council to not get gamed.

  Mary Wong:Here's the language: "An EPDP may be initiated by the GNSO Council
only in the following specific circumstances:(1) to address a narrowly defined
policy issue that was identified and scoped after either the adoption of a
GNSOpolicy recommendation by the ICANN Board or the implementation of such an
adopted recommendation; or (2) toprovide new or additional policy
recommendations on a specific policy issue that had been substantially
scopedpreviously, such that extensive, pertinent background information already
exists, e.g. (a) in an Issue Report for apossible PDP that was not initiated;
(b) as part of a previous PDP that was not completed; or (c) through
otherprojects such as a GGP.."

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:sadly true  @Avri

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Alan  should be joining us aoon

  Avri Doria:hey, i must confess to have done it myself when the goal was
important enough from my PoV.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:we just finished  DT-F

  Amr Elsadr:I'm OK moving on to 5.7 until Alan joins us.

  Avri Doria:we do not have a mechanism that is 'binding on the board' yet.

  Amr Elsadr:@Avri: True. :)

  Terri Agnew:Alan Greenberg has joined

  Amr Elsadr:To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand the comment in
5.2.

  Alan Greenberg:waiting to get on bridge

  Terri Agnew:@Alan, alerting operator

  Alan Greenberg::-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:exactly @Mary  thanks

  Alan Greenberg:@ 2 mintes...

  Alan Greenberg:and now line went silent!

  Alan Greenberg:Will re-dial

  Terri Agnew:@Alan, or skype me your telephone number and can have op dial out
to you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:yup ditto

  Terri Agnew:Alan is on audio

  Alan Greenberg:on now. This time call was picked up right away.

  Alan Greenberg:on bridge now

  Alan Greenberg:cannot understand Chuck

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:he is lower volume

  Mary Wong:I can hear Chuck well too.

  Alan Greenberg:I will hang up and try again

  Amr Elsadr:@Alan: I'm on the AC room audio. It's working pretty well.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:get a dial out @Alan

  Terri Agnew:I have the op on alert for his line

  Alan Greenberg:on again

  Alan Greenberg:Better this time

  J. Scott Evans:Dear All, I have to bow out to go to another meeting here at
work. Amr thanks for your good comments. Chuck thanks for your leadership.

  Mary Wong:Thanks J Scott!

  Terri Agnew:goodbye J Scott

  Mary Wong:See you in San Diego :)

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks J. Scott. Good luck with your meeting.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:bye JScott

  Amr Elsadr:I'm guessing some of this is beyond the purview of an IRT (if new
policy issues come up during implementation). Wouldn't it make sense to have
implementation move fwd while the policy questions go back to the GNSO to be
dealt with there?

  Avri Doria:not in favor of a stress test at this point , as stress tests
drive policy.  stress test are a good idea at requriements time, not as an
afterthought.

  Avri Doria:The rpoblem with ALAC's dilemma, a real one, is that it is
dependent on bahvior pattterns.

  Alan Greenberg:Avri, on behalf of the ALAC (without consultation), I am happy
to delete the phrase "stress test" in lieu of something more sescriptive.

  Terri Agnew:Greg Shatan has joined

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:That is my understanding as well @Mary

  Greg Shatan:Apologies; I had a conflict at 3....

  Michael R. Graham:Sorry, Team -- I have to jump off.  Will listen to last 30
mins online.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Bye Graham

  Michael R. Graham:Bye -- Alan's making great points -- will miss the
discussion.

  Terri Agnew:goodbye Michael

  Amr Elsadr:Bye Michael. Talk next week.

  Alan Greenberg:@Mary, part of the reason that I used "guesstimate"

  Mary Wong:@Alan, understood - I'm just not sure we (staff) can carry out the
second part of your suggestion, even as a "guesstimate".

  Amr Elsadr:Pretty much agree with Greg. I imagine that mapping out the
process and the actors should increase efficiency and predictiveness of the
length that implementation may take. I could, of course, be wrong in the event
of "complex implementation".

  Amr Elsadr:But complexities will exist with or without our recommendations,
won't they?

  Avri Doria:and yet here we are 1.5 years after that process would have
started.  miht even been done by now.

  Amr Elsadr:@Greg: +1

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:What @Avri is sayiong makes good sense to me ...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:case studies as Karen indicated

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Yes  it would be significant  work  and classifiable  as
longer term  IMO

  Avri Doria:what is a normal dither interval?

  Mary Wong:We do have some numbers/data that we can get/provide, but possibly
not the full slate that's been discussed, e.g. it will be difficult to get
exact dates/timelines for ad-hoc processes.

  Greg Shatan:I have no objection to trying to figure out how long our
"creations" might take.

  Mary Wong::)

  Mary Wong:@Chuck it's a good thing we're all good friends here :)

  Greg Shatan:Kind of like those paperwork reduction act estimates on US
government forms

  Terri Agnew:@Berry, we are unable to hear you

  Terri Agnew:please chec your mute

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:"... probably right"  @Chuck  surely I am 'always' right
;-)

  Avri Doria:CLO, i would think that would be frirghtening.

  Avri Doria:i am so very grateful that i am frequently wrong.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Naaa @Avri  I could live wioth the responsability,  but
yes  scary thought :-)

  Avri Doria:my favorite moments are when i am arguing forcefully and the light
of someone elses argument comes over me.  it makes me smile, invariably.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:You are a true academic my dear  ;-)

  Avri Doria:forgive me.  these days my only social life is on chat.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:tell me about it!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Back from my sidleine chatter  with 2Avri (there has to
be SOME fun in all these minutes on calls ;-)    I REALLY  appreciate this
anaylisis   work being shown ...

  Avri Doria:yep, i like data and trend lines.

  Mary Wong:Berry, Karen, Marika and I will discuss after this call and get
some suggestions to everyone shortly.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:It has been a good call though   look forward to next
weeks  discussion(s)  on more of the PC inputs...

  Amr Elsadr:Question 6 seems to be what we covered earlier in 5.4

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Thanks  Chuck  thanks everyine... YES this work is
essential    Bye for now talk soon...

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:bye all

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Greg Shatan:Goodbye to all and to the conversation in CLO's head.