ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Re: Agenda and documents for WG call on Wednesday 22 April

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Re: Agenda and documents for WG call on Wednesday 22 April
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 03:35:46 +0000

Hello Anne, Chuck and everyone,

If the WG decides to propose that a motion that requires a Supermajority
vote for passage be voted on first, then this means that any time there is a
motion proposed for an EPDP (regardless of whether the other competing
motion(s) is/are for a ³regular² PDP or GGP) then the motion to initiate the
proposed EPDP will always come up first for voting. As Chuck noted, we
should discuss this at the WG meeting tomorrow, and one thing that struck me
that the WG may wish to consider is the possibility of ³gaming² I.e. whether
having such a prescribed order would mean that a group could consider
proposing an EPDP just to get it ³on the table² first (or not, as the case
may be). It also will not solve the ³problem² if the competing motions are
for initiating a GGP versus a ³regular² PDP, for which the voting thresholds
are (currently) the same.

Marika will correct me if I¹m mistaken, but I agree with Chuck that the GNSO
Operating Procedures do not preclude discussion of all the proposed motions
prior to voting; in fact, I assume that due process and proper order would
permit both/all motions to be presented and discussed ­ and if necessary,
amended or withdrawn ­ prior to a vote being called. This is the main reason
why I¹d proposed giving the Council the flexibility and discretion to decide
the order in which they would wish to approach voting on the motions being
presented (assuming more than one remains ³in play² even after a full
discussion).

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong