ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] For review - Updated draft Final Report - Deadline for flagging issues for further consideration - Wednesday 20 May

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] For review - Updated draft Final Report - Deadline for flagging issues for further consideration - Wednesday 20 May
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 20:29:33 +0200

Hi,

Apologies for sending these comments in so close to the WG’s weekly call. Just
some observations on the current draft final report:

1. There was a discussion last week on adding “that is approved by the ICANN
Board” to the elaborate on the description of what “GNSO Policy” is in the
definition of “Implementation of a GNSO Policy”. My understanding from the call
was to not include this language, as this characteristic already being included
in the “GNSO Policy” definition makes it redundant. It seems to be added in
this draft. I would recommend taking it out again, and moving the definitions
of “Policy” and “GNSO Policy” up in the table to #3. That would serve to define
“GNSO Policy” before the term is used in another definition, hopefully
eliminating any confusion in what it is meant to refer to while avoiding the
redundancy of a duplicated definition. This is not of grave importance to me,
but only a suggestion that I believe might be helpful.

2. My understanding from the recording of last week’s call also included
keeping “non-binding” in the description of the input provided in the GIP,
while taking out “obligatory” from the description of guidance in the GGP. This
sounds pretty good to me. Those changes seem to be reflected on page 5 of the
draft final report, but not on page 19.

3. Another idea I thought was a good one was including the premise of not using
an EPDP to reopen previously explored policy issues based on the desires of a
SG/C without the availability of new information/circumstances to the
guidelines of initiating a GGP. There is a change to that effect reflected in
the language of Annex E, but not in the description of the GGP on pages 19-20
of the report. Should this be clarified here as well? It was added in the
description of the EPDP.

4. On the discussion of the predicted timelines for the new processes, I need
to think about this a bit more, but my instinct would be to include the median
+ range of timelines instead of the median + minimum estimations. Including the
range seems to me to include the wider range of possible timelines for each of
the processes.

Apologies about the late submission once again.

Thanks.

Amr