ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] ICANN News Alert -- Proposed ICANN Bylaws Amendments‹GNSO Policy & Implementation Recommendations

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] ICANN News Alert -- Proposed ICANN Bylaws Amendments‹GNSO Policy & Implementation Recommendations
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 15:16:46 +0200

Hi,

Apologies for the late response to this thread, but I’ve been very busy these
past weeks moving back to Cairo from Tromsø.

I have a slight concern that is associated with a question I had on another
thread regarding how the recommended principles in the final report would be
addressed.

I probably need to go through this all a great deal more thoroughly, and will
do so before drafting a statement for the public comment period, but this is my
take right now:

It was my feeling that the intent of the WG final recommendations was to
empower the chartering organization (GNSO council) to be involved in the
guidance of implementation of policies. This was very carefully worded in
principle B4

> Whilst implementation processes as such need not always function in a purely
> bottom-up manner, in all cases the relevant policy development body (e.g.,
> the chartering organization) must have the opportunity to be involved during
> implementation, to provide guidance on the implementation of the policies as
> recommended by the GNSO.

This principle has not, as far as I can tell, been adequately addressed in the
proposed amendments to the bylaws. In fact, it seems to me that excluding it —
while including other details in the new processes where the board directs
ICANN staff to work with the GNSO on implementation plans “if deemed necessary”
based on the recommendations in the EPDP or GGP final report — makes the
decision of an IRT being chartered to work with staff implementing policies one
of the ICANN board, not the GNSO council.

Am I reading too much into this?

Thanks.

Amr