ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Draft request for a PDP-WT face-to-face meeting

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Draft request for a PDP-WT face-to-face meeting
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:24:04 -0800

Thanks for the draft. I have a couple concerns with it, however, before it can meet approval.

I disagree with the proposition that only 1 NCSG member will be funded to participate, while 3 CSG representatives will be funded to participate at this meeting. Given the move toward parity within the GNSO, NCSG should have equal participation to CSG at this meeting. It seems hardly fair for Internet users (via ICANN) to fund 3 commercial participants while the non-commercial users are only allowed 1 representative. NCSG would settle for 2 members to participate, however (still less than CSG's 3).

I also disagree with the proposition that our participants have to meet ICANN's "active participation" standard. At least within NCSG, we cannot send our member who has been most active and need to send another person in many cases. NCSG members coordinate among themselves on a position and who to send to represent us. It may not always be someone who ICANN decides is "active" enough. But it is ultimately up to the NCSG (not ICANN) as to who to send to represent noncommercial users at the meeting.

Thanks,
Robin