ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

[gnso-ppsc-pdp] PDP practice of confidential reports on public policy mattes is inappropriate

  • To: "Gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] PDP practice of confidential reports on public policy mattes is inappropriate
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:06:04 -0800

I do not believe there should be a standard practice for the ICANN staff to send the ICANN Board a confidential report to accompany the public report. which the GNSO approves of.

I'm especially concerned since we hear the board often only reads the staff prepared report, which means the community really has no idea what the staff is saying to the board, and thus upon what information decisions are being made.

Certainly there can be exceptional circumstances when there is a legitimate reason to provide confidential advice to the board from the staff - but that should be on a case by case basis, where legitimate need is demonstrated. However a standard PDP practice of a private report on policy matters goes against all of ICANN's promises about being transparent in its policy process. It is time to put an end to the practice of confidential reports on matters of public deliberation.

Thanks,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx