ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp]

  • To: <jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp]
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:29:14 -0500

Jeff, I apologize for missing the call. It was my fault entirely. I had asked
for a dial out, but didn't send the request to the staff!
USER ERROR. my deep apologies. Thus, my thoughts outlined below.
I support the need for a face to face working session to advance the work, and
will make every attempt to attend the working session in person.
It might be useful to make it clear to all that as an individual participant I
am not expecting funding for expenses. However, I support funding for one
designated representative for each 'relevant' group, in a balanced manner.
After reading input from some other parties, for instance, I have a comment.
While some will suggest that the 'new' order of houses changes the role of
constituencies, I am not so sure that is where we can go, since this working
group was set up under an earlier 'regime'.
It might be possible to create a 'balance' by providing funding for one person
per prior constituency, and one from the ALAC, and one from the three  Board
appointees to the Non Commercial house. Perhaps that would need to be more than
one of the three Board designees.
In order to maximize effective use of the face to face session, anyone new will
have the need to 'read ahead', or perhaps the term is 'read back'.  Let's just
make that an expectation, especially before putting those folks into funded
slots, since the burden on them will be lots of catch up work, and I am fully
confident that if someone says they will 'catch up', then they will. SO, if
there are new participants in the group, just ask staff to provide a 'reading
'list', including the past PDP, relevant documents, the reports from the
existing work of this group, etc.
This group is developing an improved PDP process. It does take a certain amount
of experience, or at least 'study' to be a fully informed contributor, so let's
keep that in mind and ensure that if 'lots' of new people are expected to
contribute, then they have the obligation to read the various transcripts,
familiarize themselves with the past PDP, etc.  Staff should provide perhaps
background reading 'pointers' to such participants. [that's just a usual
courtesy, and I am of course assuming that would happen, but it will help 'new'
participants in the working group].
My suggestion  does revert to the earlier 'balance' of internal groups, but it
also creates a limit of funding of 6 constituencies plus 1 plus 1 for a total
of 8 funded attendees.
I am assuming that if others who are participants, such as myself, who are not
eligible for funding, wish to attend, that would be consistent with the overall
purpose of the meeting.  Likewise,  if two representatives from a
'constituency', such as XXX constituency, then there is the funded' participant
and anyone else who is on the group from the constituency, who can also attend
and fully participate.
thus, actually, no one is disadvantaged, since they can participate either
in-person, or by dialing in. That would mean that the staff support to
excellent remote participation [which is different from when everyone is
remote], would be supported.
It is my intent to participate. I may be in Bahrain on those dates, so I may be
participating remotely. But, if not, then I'll look forward to a full two days
of blocked out work, with the anticipation of all of us who do participate
dedicating the time to this.
My appreciation to both Jeff, as chair, and to the staff who are doing a great
job of capturing and documenting input.
I participate in many other international groups and fora. I am constantly and
consistently impressed by the support that the policy development process is
getting from the excellent support of the policy team.
Marilyn Cade