ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Updated outstanding issues document

  • To: "Marika Konings" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Updated outstanding issues document
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:11:09 -0700

Hi folks.  Sorry for the delayed response, but here are my thoughts on
outstanding issues #10 and #18:

* Issue 10 / Recommendation 13
Adding an explicit reference to "human rights" would significantly
expand ICANN's scope and mission.  Section 3 of the Affirmation of
Commitments outlines ICANN's commitments to uphold / preserve
(paraphrasing):
  1.  The Public Interest,
  2.  The Security, Stability and Resiliency of the DNS,
  3.  Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice, and
  4.  International Participation.

Suggest that any edits to Recommendation 13 simply reference these items
as Section 3 of the Affirmation of Commitments.

* Recommendation 18
Reconsidering this issue, I am now of the opinion that we should leave
the existing text intact.  Designing a formal appeals mechanism would
have numerous unknown (and perhaps unanticipated) consequences, and
could be seen as undermining the role of Council in policy development.
We can discuss further on today's call, but I would oppose any
additional language here.

Thanks--

J.