ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] For your review - draft PDP-WT Final Report posted on wiki

  • To: "Marika Konings" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] For your review - draft PDP-WT Final Report posted on wiki
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:28:45 -0700

Marika and PDP Team:

I am ok with striking Rec #13 (Impact Analysis) provided we make some
minor changes to the language supporting Rec #4 (Issue Report Template).

On line 239-240 of the Draft Final (PDF), we list the various elements
to be included in the issues report.  One of these elements is listed
as: "identification of problem."  This  is close to what I was trying to
capture with my statements regarding the Impact Analysis. But ideally I
believe we should strive for a -quantified- problem definition.  It is
only through understanding the problem/harm/"impact" in the beginning of
the process can the PDP have any chance of making meaningful policy or
best practice recommendations.

Also, we should spend perhaps 5-10 minutes reviewing the decision that
this template be "strongly encouraged" but not "mandatory."  Why?  Did
we believe that some issues wouldn't cleanly fit in to existing
categories?  If so, what does that indicate for the PDP's ability to
address these issues? Or, what does it say about scoping?

Some have expressed concerns that having a mandatory template could be
gamed as a "blocking" move against unwanted PDPs.  I suppose this is
possible. But in my relatively brief (4 year) experience with ICANN, it
seems that any blanks left unfilled by the Issues Report or Charter are
simply punted to the PDP WG, which can be hamstrung by these initial
ambiguities.

So it is possible that requiring additional prep work early in the life
cycle of a PDP may result in fewer PDPs.  But I believe this would also
result in more meaningful PDPs, more robust problem definitions, and
consensus policies (or best practices) that are narrowly targeted and
easy to measure for compliance.

In any event, I'm looking forward to finalizing this (and other)
section, and getting this effort put to bed.

Thanks--

J.