ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Action items for Monday's PDP-WT meeting

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Action items for Monday's PDP-WT meeting
  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:58:14 +0300

My motivation for suggesting well "Grounded Theory" (or GT) was an
1-4 April, 2011  NCSG conversation on DNS Abuse re: "Domain Name Front
Running", in part:-
> Domain name front running does not require knowing anything about the
> identity of the person searching on the name, only that the name was searched.
>
> Unlike stock front running I do not believe there are laws against it.  I
> also do not believe there are any policies explicitly related to it at this
> point, though the GNSO did study it at one point and seemed unable to prove
> that it occurred:
>
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/rap/rap-wg-final-report-29may10-en.pdf  page 34
>
> > It is unclear to what extent front-running happens, and the RAPWG does not
> > recommend policy development at this time. The RAPWG suggests that the
> > Council monitor the issue and consider next steps if conditions warrant.

Since such a Grounded Theory can, and has, lead to a study, then
perhaps I may not insist on the term's inclusion on the document.

regards,

Alex