ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Issue of who can request deferral of consideration of an issue

  • To: "icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'PDP-WT'" <gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Issue of who can request deferral of consideration of an issue
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:01:12 -0400

So, these are all good points, and just to play a little bit of a devil's
advocate, lets focus for a second on the rationale behind allowing Councilors
to ask for the 1 meeting delay as opposed to the action of asking for the delay.

If we can say that the same rationale that applies to voting Councilors to ask
for a delay applies to the non-voting councilors as well, then it seems like we
have our answer.  If, however, the same rationale does not apply, then perhaps
a distinction can be made.

When I think of the last couple of years when a request has been made to delay
a vote for one meeting, in my own mind I agree that the rationale would apply
equally for voting and non-voting members.  Although we talk of just the voting
mechanic in this e-mail string, we also use the extra meeting to get more up to
speed on an issue so that we can more intelligently discuss the issue at the
next Council meeting (not just vote).  This may include suggesting appropriate
amendments, other areas of policy work, discussions of how this interacts with
other policy efforts, etc.  Whether ultimately one votes or not on the issue is
not indicative of the only benefits provided from the delay.

Therefore, I am coming around to Avri and Alan's viewpoint (putting aside
whether it is a violation of the bylaws or not), and personally do not see why
we should not make the changes proposed.

Again, this is my personal opinion, not the view of the registries or certainly
the chair.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.