ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Moving forward

  • To: "ext J. Scott Evans" <jscottevans@xxxxxxxxx>, Working Group <gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Moving forward
  • From: "Soininen, Jonne (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <jonne.soininen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:29:35 +0200

Hello everybody,

As I'm new to this group, I would like present myself. I am Jonne Soininen
and I work for Nokia Siemens Networks. I have been working in the IETF for
some time serving in different roles including document editor, working
group chair, and the past number of years as a member of IETF Administrative
Oversight Committee (IAOC). I have served as the chair of the IAOC for the
past year.

In addition to the IETF, I have been active in 3GPP, ETSI, and OMA over the
years, which have quite different history, culture, and procedures. Anyways,
I would believe that in spirit and philosophy ICANN is most probably closer
to the IETF than the others.

Then to the matter at hand:

1) Size: I would think that the general requirement for the WGs is to be as
open and as inclusive as possible. Keeping that in mind, I wonder if the
size of a WG would be a problem.

For instance, the WG that I'm responsible for in the IETF has hundreds of
participants. However, basically just 10-20 people are really active. The
others just are there for the show.

In addition, having a rule that doesn't put any quantity to the size could
certainly cause problems if enforced. Who says what is too big?

2) Expertise: Expertise is really difficult to quantify, and thus, would be
really difficult to enforce either. You just cannot say to anybody that they
don't have the expertise to be part of the group - even if they refuse to be
constructive.

I would propose the following wording:

"Be open to anyone interest in joining, offering their insights and
expertise to contribute to WG work to reach its goals as defined by the WG
charter" (perhaps somebody can translate than from Finglish to English)

That basically keeps the WG open, but adds the possibility to say that if
somebody is not constructive to reach the goals of the WG would allow the
chairman to point that out.

Cheers,

Jonne.

--