ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

[gnso-ppsc-wg] WIKI Updates and Suggestions

  • To: "'Working Group'" <gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc-wg] WIKI Updates and Suggestions
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:55:01 -0400

Working Group Team:

Hopefully, by now, everyone knows the location of our WG Team WIKI space at:

https://st.icann.org/icann-ppsc/index.cgi?working_group_team

I am continuing to update the WIKI area to make it more useful as a
workspace.  In particular, I created another new sub-page for the "Work
Plan" (linked from the main page) and populated it with starter set of ideas
for discussion.

In terms of our working together, may I suggest that, instead of using the
email list to circulate document changes (and/or support), we use the WIKI.
For example, if you go to:
https://st.icann.org/icann-ppsc/index.cgi?wg_team_charter_and_rules, you
will see that I inserted a Comment at the bottom to show Tim Ruiz's wording
modification to Item I.2.1 of the Charter.  I also indicated, in a separate
Comment, those who have registered support for the motion thus far.   I
created a third new comment to show Jonne's recommended alternative wording.

Everyone should have "edit" permission to the WIKI page (if not, please let
me know).  To support Tim's motion, you can click the orange Edit button at
top or bottom, add your name under those listed followed by the date and
click Save.   If you have a new suggestion or other comment to offer to the
discussion, click on the orange Comment button and insert it in a separate
area.  Remember to Save your changes!

As some of you may know already, SocialText WIKI does not support embedded
"redlining" for document editing nor does it permit different font styles or
colored text (without embedding HTML--which I tried to no avail).  There is
a useful function to "Compare Revisions" (to access, click on the Revisions
counter top right) which does provide an option to show any two versions
next to each other.  You will note that it highlights in multiple colors
changes from one revision to the other.  To test this, select Revisions 18
and 19 to see where I inserted Tim's text change into the Charter document.

Another idea I had to simulate the redlining concept is to make use of
strikethrough and/or certain symbols to show edits within the document.  All
we would need is a convention so that everyone is working from the same
understanding as to its usage/meaning.  One idea would be to put new text
inside symbols like "< >" (we just have to make sure that it's not a
reserved WIKI symbol).  Another important factor is who made the change; for
that, maybe we could use "\".  I tested these symbols and they appear to
work without causing unexpected results on the WIKI page.

As an example, if I wanted to take the following line and edit it using this
approach:

[Note: you need HTML enabled in your email reader to see the strikethrough
text below].

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy <clever white rabbit crawled under
the witless> dog \Ken\.

Once the changes are approved by the team, it is a simple matter to remove
the symbols and strikethrough text.  If a mistake is accidentally made, we
can always revert to a previously saved revision.

For a real example of this implementation, see the WG Team Charter page
(ref'd above).  I used the strikethrough capability along with "< >" and
"\Tim\" to make the change to Item I.2.1.

We can experiment with various approaches and decide which one(s) we like.
Maybe some combination of symbols and comments (along with revision numbers)
will be most effective.   I will also stay tuned to the other teams and be
sure to bring any other "lessons learned" to this group.

Regards,

Ken Bour

P.S.  Once we settle on an approach, I will create a new "Internal Editing
Help" page with the instructions in case anyone forgets them or we have new
members that join the team.