ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Consensus Discussion: Additional Thought

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Consensus Discussion: Additional Thought
  • From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:53:32 +0200

On 16 Apr 2009, at 14:04, Tim Ruiz wrote:

All participants in the WG will be required to submit SOIs. If who
supports what is properly documented it will allow the Council to
sufficiently analyize the support and claimed level of consensus
for each view or position.

I agree that this kind of transparency is essential, whether or not one adopts precise voting thresholds for consensus calls.

But I also think the BGC's recommendations included the concept of
appropriate size, and I would question the concept of a completely
open WG in the sense that any number of participants are allowed.
It would not be wise on the part of the *managers* to allow a WG
to become unmanageable, or on the other hand to proceed if there is
not a balance of representation and sufficient participation.

Especially when a WG is comtemplating binding policy the Council
must act as good managers and be certain that the WG is well
*staffed* and appropriately equipped to deal with the task they are
being assigned.

In other words, you're willing to assume a more balanced WG than I was solving for in my remarks; if WGs are indeed balanced (whatever that might mean in detail), then things like a 2/3 majority suddenly become a useful concept. Whatever way this discussion goes, I think it would be important to capture these different assumptions going forward.