ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Your feedback requested: Section 2.1.4.2 Election of WG Leaders

  • To: Working Group <gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Your feedback requested: Section 2.1.4.2 Election of WG Leaders
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:30:56 -0400

On 22 Apr 2010, at 05:17, Marika Konings wrote:

> From the GNSO Working Group Guidelines
>
> 2.1.4.2 Election of the WG Leaders
>
> Unless a Chair has already been named by the Chartering Organization,
> normally a Chair will be selected at the first meeting of the WG. Until that
> time, the Chartering Organization’s liaison may fulfill the role of interim
> Chair. A Working Group can elect to have co-chairs, vice-chairs or request
> ICANN Staff to perform the role of Chair. Once selected, a Working Group
> Chair will need to be confirmed by the Chartering Organization (CO). The
> newly elected Chair will act on a provisional basis until the Chartering
> Organization has confirmed the appointment. If there are any objections to
> the selected Chair, the CO will conduct a vote to establish whether there is
> majority support for the selected Chair. If there is no majority support, the
> Working Group will be requested to reconsider their choice for Chair and
> return to the CO with a new proposal.
>
> Comments
>
> GD: Section 2.1.4.2 outlines the selection of working group leadership
> positions.  It notes that the working group can elect to have ICANN Staff
> serve in the role of working group Chair, but is this in accordance with
> ICANN by-laws?  We ask that the PPSC WG-WT address this question with ICANN’s
> General Counsel.
>
> Further in this section, the document calls for the proposed working group
> Chair to be confirmed by the GNSO Council.  Under what conditions would (or
> should) the Council reject the proposed Chair? Does the PPSC WG-WT envision a
> process by which the membership of the working group (including the rejected
> Chair) can appeal this decision?

anything should be appealable.  I assume they would have to give a reason for
the rejection.

> Finally, this area may be an appropriate place to include some provisions for
> the GNSO Council to remove a working group Chair, Vice-Chair, Liaison, or
> other defined leadership position.  These should include a description of
> general circumstances that would warrant Council intervention and removal.

Probably a good idea.

> INTA: This subsection permits flexibility in determining how the WG leaders
> will be elected or appointed, allowing for different Chartering Organizations
> (COs) to tailor the leadership according to the needs of the WG. However, the
> Committee suggests circulating information regarding the nominated Chairs
> prior to the meeting.

in fact having the people who propose chairs say something about them and why
they are propsing them as well as those being proposed or volunteering saying
something about themselves etc.. is a good idea.

> MO: Working Group members are often meeting for the first time at the initial
> meeting which puts many at a disadvantage when it comes to running for, or
> voting for, Chair.
> Suggested Language
> Replace this language in section 2.1.4.2:
> “unless a Chair has already been named by the Chartering Organization,
> normally a Chair will be selected at the first meeting of the WG.”
> with:
> “unless a Chair has already been named by the Chartering Organization,
> normally a Chair may be selected at the first meeting of the WG.
> Alternatively, the WG can designate an Interim Chair at the initial meeting
> to serve until a Chair is elected.  However, the WG must select a Chair
> within 3 weeks of the initial meeting.”

i would be against the idea of another interim chair, but would be in favor of
indicating that if necessary the Liaison (the currently defined interim chair)
will serve until such time as the chair is elected not to exceed one month
after the creation of the group.  or some such time interval.

a.