ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

[gnso-ppsc-wg] Disclosure of Interest

  • To: "J. Scott Evans" <jscottevans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Disclosure of Interest
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 03:11:42 -0700

Dear Work Team Chair,

In the revised GNSO Council Operating Procedures approved by the GNSO Council
on 05 August 2010, Section 5 contains a new requirement for members of the GNSO
Council and for GNSO Working Groups/Work Teams to provide written Disclosures
of Interest (DOIs) per the following definition in Section 5.1:

“Disclosure of Interest:  Relevant to a specific issue at a specific time.  A
written statement made by a Relevant Party of direct and indirect interests
that may be commercial (e.g. monetary payment) or non-commercial (e.g.
non-tangible benefit such as publicity, political or academic visibility) and
may affect, or be perceived to affect, the Relevant Party's judgment on a
specific issue.”

To simplify matters, these DOIs can be considered updates to the members’
existing Statements of Interest (SOIs) already provided.  For example, if a
member has an update relating to the work under discussion, it should be
provided in writing to the email distribution list and it will be appended by
staff to the existing SOI and posted. See the SOIs at:
https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/icann-ppsc/attachments/working_group_team:20090310181922-0-6141/original/PPSC%20WG%20Work%20Team%20SOIs.pdf
  Please note that in future staff intends to develop a brief online form for
the submission of SOIs and DOIs once the content of Section 5.3.3 (SOI
questions) is determined and approved. That new electronic form process will be
used by all new Working Groups.

In addition, to initiate these new procedures, we recommend that you announce
at your next meeting the procedures and I will read the definition of the DOI.
You should then ask if any members have any DOIs to provide that would update
their SOIs and, if so, to state them now and to provide them in writing to the
list.   You also should note that on 15 September the GNSO Council Operations
Work Team is taking up the issue of possible changes to the SOI/DOI procedures,
including section 5.3.3, which has not been approved pending changes to the
content of SOI questions, as well as any changes to how the DOIs are provided.
You may also wish to note that in future staff will develop a brief online form
for the submission of SOIs and DOIs once the content of Section 5.3.3 (SOI
questions) is determined and approved

For subsequent meetings we suggest that the Chair/Vice-Chairs should ask at the
beginning of the meeting whether members have any updates to their DOIs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  For your reference, the complete
GNSO Council Operating Procedures can be found at:
http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/operating-procedures-revised-draft-clean-09oct09-en.pdf.

With best regards,

Marika