ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc]

[gnso-ppsc] RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp]

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc] RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp]
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:57:14 -0500

Thanks Avri for your note and I do encourage you to listen to the
recording.  I would like to send to you the same answer I sent to Robin
earlier in the week.  As chair, it is my responsibility to make sure
that all viewpoints are heard and reflected in the ultimate report.  I
need to do that regardless of the actual number of people that attend
meetings or calls.  In other words, if the registrars have 2 people on a
call, but the NCSG only has one, I cannot give more weight to the
registrars than to the NCSG simply because they have more people.
Similarly, the fact that there is only one person from the NCSG that
attends a meeting does not mean that its voice is heard less.  We need
to stop focusing on the issue of quantity, but rather quality.  It is
the same reason why the RySG and RrSG accepted less members on the STI
than the NCSG and CSG have on that committee. The RrSG and RySG have 2
members, while the other 2 SGs have 3 members each.   The registries and
registrars agreed early on that as long as our voice was being heard
(which we believe it is), then we would not focus on the number of reps.

With respect to ICANN policy staff, I will let ICANN staff address.

Finally, with respect to new blood, I believe that is an issue for all
working groups as they are COMMENCING their work.  As we are trying to
wrap up our work, I am not sure the face to face meeting (intended to
finalize a report) is the place to make the call for diversity.  The
group discussed this issue at length and felt that the persons being
funded should be ones that either (i) active in the group or (ii) are
dedicated to the remain active in the group for the reminder of its life
span.  I am paraphrasing, but you should listen to the recording.  We do
not believe someone should be funded to attend the face to face if they
have rarely if ever been on a WT call or meeting or have never filled
out any of the surveys.  Anyone and everyone is free to participate
remotely.

I hope that helps to understand some of our thinking.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you
have received this e-mail message in error and any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
notify us immediately and delete the original message.