ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc]

[gnso-ppsc] RE: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Fwd: [] issue of rough or near consensus

  • To: Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc] RE: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Fwd: [] issue of rough or near consensus
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:04:38 -0700

I agree with Jeff's points below, and have a few other concerns.

Determining level of consensus - I believe how this currently is
explained/defined is still not workable. The RAA, and I believe Registry
contracts as well, allow contracted parties to question claims of
consensus on policies. This was not really an issue in the past under
the task force model, which included direct voting, but it is a growing
concern under the WG model. We can discuss further, but I strongly
believe that all stated views and claims of consensus of any level MUST
indicate the specific WG members in support. Anyone that does not want
to be identified with a particular view should not be counted, and I
question why they would be participating in the first place. We cannot
have anonymous participation. So, I believe there is more work that
needs to be done in this section. These WGs are not setting optional
standards, they are establishing mandatory regulations for contracted
parties and for registrants.

Who may question a consensus call - As I pointed out before, I strongly
feel that any one WG member should be able to raise an issue or to
question a consensus call. There are protections in place if someone is
being abusive. Their concern should be heard and looked into. That act
may embolden others to speak up who were too timid to do so individually
themselves, or may uncover problems that were not evident to anyone
else. Do we really think that the Chair or Council can tell someone that
their concern will more or less be ignored without possibly creating
more trouble than it is worth, or that there will never be a situation
where they may want to act? Making exceptions to this rule will be very
difficult and could create some nasty situations. Let the rules on
abusive behavior deal with it.

Liaison neutrality - I can live with this, but I think it will have an
impact on the number of Councilors willing to take a liaison role. At
least from my perspective, I would likely not.

Tim