ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc]

Re: [gnso-ppsc] Revised Language for 2 outstanding issues in Working Group Guidelines

  • To: gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc] Revised Language for 2 outstanding issues in Working Group Guidelines
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:12:47 -0500

Dear Jeff,

With all due respect, I do not beleive I was at the Dec 5 meeting as I was
attending the OSC meeting at the time.  And I think only 4 non-staff attended
the Dec 1 call, including the two chairs.  I also ask , of those you listed as
attending the meeting on Dec 5 and participating in the decision, how many were
the actual PPSC representatives.  Again, I think we need to be strict about our
methodology in decision making, and it is the members of the PPSC who are the
ones who should be making the decisions via the consensus process:

from https://st.icann.org/icann-ppsc/index.cgi?ppsc_charter

> Decision Making for the PPSC
>       • Unless otherwise determined by the PPSC members, committee decisions
> will be made using a “full consensus of the members” process.

- I had spoken previously about there really being no need for this to go to
another community comment period.  I know public comment periods like  mother's
milk for ICANN, but the changes had not been substantive and many have spoken
about the comment overload the community is going through.  Also, we are
talking about a set of guidelines not a PDP, so I thought just bringing them to
a vote in the council, after doing a proper Stakeholder group review of the
changes might have been enough.  If the Council believes it needs to go to
public comment before it can vote on them, fine, let them so decide.  It is a
matter of division of labor, the PPSC approves the work of the WGWT when it is
ready to do so and think it has gone through the processes it needs and only
then sends it to the council.  The council in its independent role from the
PPSC decides what to do next.  I believe I argued this on Dec 1, but was
overruled by the chairs.

- If we were to have PPSC consensus that a public comment is required, then it
should be done by the PPSC itself since this is the group (or its designated
sub-team) that would need to respond to any further comments.  We cannot have a
comment period that ignores the responses, and the council in its managerial
role can only send the document back to the PPSC to resolve any issues; it does
not have the authority to act on them itself other than to vote against the
proposed guidelines for faulty process. So why add another several Council
meeting cycles to the process by requiring the council to first vote on a
public comment period (and maybe push the vote off by another council meeting
cycle as is the practice with nearly every vote these days), and then vote on
sending the comment back to the PPSC.  Asking the council to decide if another
review period is necessary could add as much as 12 weeks to the process.  If we
in the PPSC think it needs another comment period, then we should be the ones
to just request it.

So yes, "just to be clear" I am against recommending to the council that it
send this out for public comment.  To repeat:

- i am not convinced it is necessary
- i think it add up to 3 months to the process in the asking in addition to
the month of review
- if it is necessary then we should be the ones to do it.

Additionally I do not believe we have taken a proper decision on this issue at
this point.

With best regards,

a.