ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG

  • To: <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG
  • From: "Smith, Kelly W" <kelly.w.smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:00:58 -0700

My comments:

Part of our mandate is to (taking the language from the Statement of Work)
"Identify Commonalities and Variances among existing rights protection
mechanisms, including the evaluation by affected parties."  The questionnaire
is a necessary means to provide this evaluation.  It may very well be that we
can anticipate the responses/views of the various constituencies, but in my
view this is not a reason not to publish the questionnaire.

I also frankly doubt whether this WG can present a consensus of all affected
constituents.  Yet, our mandate goes beyond a fact finding mission.  Again from
the Statement of Work, we are to address the feasibility of and implementation
considerations relating to past-used rights protection mechanisms, and identify
alternative mechanisms.  Given our timing, we need to begin these discussions
as soon as possible.

As to specific comments on the questionnaire, I agree that questions 23 and 24
concerning post-launch mechanisms, while touching on important questions, are
beyond the scope of this WG.

Kelly Smith
Intel Corporation