ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG

  • To: "Smith,Kelly W" <kelly.w.smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:20:54 -0700

&gt; address the feasibility of and implementation considerations
relating to past-used<BR>&gt; rights protection mechanisms, and identify
alternative mechanisms.<BR></div>

I think there is a misunderstanding of our *mandate.* What&nbsp;Kelly
is&nbsp;paraphrasing is part of the *Suggested* Outline of Working Group Work
Plan. It is not a mandate.</div>

(2) Determine whether to recommend to Council a best practices approach
<BR>
to providing any additional protections beyond the current registration
<BR>
agreement and UDRP policy for the legal rights of others during the
<BR>
domain name registration process, particularly during the initial start
<BR>
up of a new gTLD where there is contention for what Registrants perceive
<BR>
as the "best" names. A best practices document could be incorporated
<BR>
into the material for the application process for new gTLD applicants.
<BR>
The GNSO could elect in future to use the policy development process
<BR>(PDP) to create a Consensus Policy in this area.</div>

Simply put, all we are really tasked with here is recommending whether
or not there should be a best practices approach, NOT necessarily what those
best practices are. If we recommend such an approach, it would likely result in
a PDP (this WG's task is not a PDP). As I said, I think it unlikely that we can
come to rough consensus&nbsp;on this recommendation, let alone any expansion on
what the best practices if any should be.</div>

I think it perfectly reasonable to push back on the terms of work if we
think it necessary. But if the majority of the&nbsp;WG prefers to&nbsp;move
forward under&nbsp;this current mandate I suggest&nbsp;the WG members&nbsp;be
tasked with soliciting responses and/or statements from their constituent group
on the recommendation portion. Those statements/responses would be compiled in
the report indicating who supports what. That seems a&nbsp;more reasonable
approach than spending weeks in debate and ending up with pretty much the same
thing.</div>

Daddy Group, Inc.<BR><BR></div>

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE:
[gnso-pro-wg] NEW APPROACH TO WORK OF WG<BR>From: "Smith, Kelly W"
&lt;kelly.w.smith@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Wed, April 11, 2007 3:00 pm<BR>To:
&lt;gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><PRE>My comments:

Part of our mandate is to (taking the language from the Statement of

Work) "Identify Commonalities and Variances among existing rights

protection mechanisms, including the evaluation by affected parties."

The questionnaire is a necessary means to provide this evaluation.  It

may very well be that we can anticipate the responses/views of the

various constituencies, but in my view this is not a reason not to

publish the questionnaire.

I also frankly doubt whether this WG can present a consensus of all

affected constituents.  Yet, our mandate goes beyond a fact finding

mission.  Again from the Statement of Work, we are to address the

feasibility of and implementation considerations relating to past-used

rights protection mechanisms, and identify alternative mechanisms.

Given our timing, we need to begin these discussions as soon as

possible.

As to specific comments on the questionnaire, I agree that questions

23 and 24 concerning post-launch mechanisms, while touching on

important questions, are beyond the scope of this WG.

Kelly Smith

Intel Corporation