ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Approach to guidelines

  • To: "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Approach to guidelines
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:20:06 -0400

Working Group Members/New gTLD Committee Members:

My feeling is that this kind of document would be incredibly helpful to
prospective registries in determining in what manner they would protect
the rights of others.  Providing educational guidelines would enable
future registries to learn from the mistakes of, as well as the best
practices from, other registries.  It also would be helpful to
registrars and users in achieving some best practice standards in
implementing such protections.

With that said, I think that we need to leave discretion in the hands of
the prospective registries to see what method of protection works best
for the proposed registry taking into account its prospective business
model and market.  I would think, therefore, that these guidelines
should not be included in the New gTLD Committee report.  Rather, in my
opinion, the report should acknowledge the importance of the principle
of protecting the rights of others, refer to fact that the GNSO has
established a working group to provide educational guidelines to
prospective registries, and state that registries have discretion in
implementing such protections, but that the selected method of
protection may be considered in the application process (to the extent
there is a "beauty contest" type of allocation.

I absolutely support the important work on the guidelines, but
de-linking these guidelines from the actual New gTLD Committee report
would give the prospective registries, which may be concerned about
specific proscriptive measures, the ability to roll up their sleeves and
assist in providing a document that would be most useful and beneficial
to all concerned.  I don't think that we are on that road yet, and we
all are way too busy to spend time dealing with roadblocks and/or
needless work.

Thanks.

Jon