ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Approach to guidelines

  • To: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Approach to guidelines
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:17:18 -0400

I would like to offer my support for the suggestions below.  I firmly
believe that each registry should have an appropriate mechanism to
protect the rights of others, but one size does not fit all.

The one issue I have is with Jon's third point, namely, to use the IP
protection mechanism as a basis to judge registries involved in a
conflict where there are multiple applicants for a string.  Registries
are not Intellectual Property attorneys and should not be judged by the
mechanism the believe would satisfy IP owners.  I believe that should be
an area for negotiation after selection if the IP community or others
have an issue with the perceived lack of protection.  It is expensive
enough to prepare and submit an application for a TLD.  To put all the
weight on the registries to come up with the perfect PRO mechanism adds
that much more cost.  However, if after selection, there are issues with
the PRO mechanisms, those should certainly be discussed and commented on
during the negotiation process.

I also support the notion of providing educational guidelines to aid
future registries that do not have the IP expertise to develop an
appropriate PRO mechanism.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.