ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-pro-wg] Explanation of why PRO policy recommendations should apply to IDN TLDs

• To: PRO WG <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pro-wg] Explanation of why PRO policy recommendations should apply to IDN TLDs
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:16:06 +0200

Hi,

Kristina asked me to craft a few words to back up my earlier statement concerning the need for PRO WG conclusions to apply equally to IDN TLDs as to ASCII/LDH TLDs.

My attempt at such words:
---

The practice within the GNSO new TLDs Committee, has made a point of checking every decision against a metric, among others, of whether the principle or recommendation works for IDN TLDs as well as it works for LDH TLDs.

In the GNSO new TLDs Committee, Draft Final Report on Introduction of New Generic Top-Level Domains, Principle 2 states that

"Some new generic top-level domains may be internationalised domain names (IDNs) subject to the approval of IDNs being available in the root."

This implies that IDN TLDs are TLDs that are covered by the principles and recommendations of the GNOS new TLD Committee; i.e. they are a subset if gTLDs and are governed by the same policies. While it was generally acknowledged that there may be special conditions arising from the creation of IDNs it was expected that for the most part the basic policies that applied to LDH TLDs would also apply to IDN TLDs when they are introduced.

As the PRO WG is, among other responsibilities, reporting into the new GTLD committee, it follows that in its deliberations attention to the implications of PRO policy recommendations for IDN TLDs should be handled in the same manner in which they are handled in the GNSO new TLD committee.

---

a.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy