ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

[gnso-pro-wg] two more suggested principles

  • To: <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pro-wg] two more suggested principles
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:43:58 -0700

I'd like to add one other principle for discussion, which I think ought
to be uncontroversial, but am usually wrong when I think that...

Rights protection mechanisms for second level names SHOULD also apply to
third and higher level names made available for general registration by
the TLD operator.

That gives some flexibility if there is reasoned justification not to
have equal applicability.

And I'd like to add one other principle for discussion, which I know
will be controversial, but should be no surprise (altered modestly from
ICM Registry proposal):

Registries SHOULD institute a rapid suspension procedure in which a
response team of independent experts (qualified UDRP panelists) will be
retained to make determinations shortly after they receive a short and
simple statement of a claim involving a well-known or otherwise
inherently distinctive mark and a domain name clearly used in bad faith,
or for which no conceivable good faith basis exists.  Such
determinations MUST result in an immediate suspension of resolution of
the domain name, but will not prejudice either party's election to
pursue another dispute mechanism.  The claim and procedural requirements
SHOULD be modeled after the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

For now, we could cut it after 'procedure' if that would please most
everyone :-)

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.

NOTICE:  This communication is confidential and may be protected by
attorney-client and/or work product privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify me by reply, and delete this
communication and any attachments.

  _____