ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] New Principle on Standard "Canned RPM"

  • To: <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] New Principle on Standard "Canned RPM"
  • From: "Peter Gustav Olson - pgo" <pgo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 20:02:12 +0200

I agree in principle with Margie's proposal. (In fact, trying to get a
standardised, "Model RPM" was the primary reason why I joined this WG).
It would really help EVERYONE out:  the applicants, the registries, and
the registrars. Particularly if it could be combined with a centralized
place to do it. As Mike Pelage has pointed out, by trial and error the
market will probably eventually work this out. I just think we are all
better served if we try to brainstorm more on this.

As regards Margie's proposal, I submit that it is in the best interest
of all if this is made to be "mandatory, unless". In other words that
the new registry should use them unless there are reasonable grounds for
their non-use. Thus I would propose to amend Margie's proposal to the
following:

"Approved Model  RPMs" (to be developed later) SHOULD be utilized by the
new the registry, unless there are reasonable grounds for non-use in the
particular registry. Such use of a standardized, RPMs will minimize the
costs of implementation for all interested parties, and would eliminate
the need for ICANN to scrutinize this aspect of an application during
the new TLD process. The list of Approved Model RPMs could be updated
from time to time.

/Peter