ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Current Draft of Report

  • To: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Current Draft of Report
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:24:48 -0400

Mike,  Thanks for these.

All, here's what is in my notes:

4.1.4  There was no Agreement on the original version, which was "If a new gTLD
elects to use a Sunrise process as its RPM:

§       it should restrict eligible Prior Rights to those owned at least as
early as [that date that is its gTLD application submission date or  its
selection as a new gTLD] (e.g., national trademark registrations that issued as
of the "critical date" or arising from applications filed before the critical
data as long as the resulting registration issues before the Sunrise period
begins);"

During our call on Monday, the current version was proposed and agreed upon.

With regard to your question, the idea was not to narrow the scope, per se, but
to set a "critical date" to avoid, for example, the Benelux registration
workaround to the .eu date-cutoffs.

4.1.3 and 4.1.6 are not the same.  Related, but not the same.

4.1.3 goes to the circumstances under which a party is required to have its
Legal Rights authenticated

4.1.6 is more of a threshold issue -- if it's not possible to authenticate a
Legal Right (for whatever reason), it can't be included as a basis for
participation in an RPM.  (This is intended to deal more with a "type" of Legal
Right than a specific one claimed by a specific party.)

4.2.4  The SHOULD version was the initial one.  During our call on Monday, it
become clear that there wouldn't be Agreement on it and probably not Support
either.  By changing it to MAY, we were able to reach Support.

Let me know if you have questions or if anyone has different information in
their notes.