ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

RE: [gnso-raa-b] History of Prior RAA Amendments

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-raa-b@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-raa-b] History of Prior RAA Amendments
  • From: "Hammock, Statton" <shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:29:40 -0400

Steve,

Over the weekend I had a little time to digest the two documents that
were introduced last Thursday before our RAA Subteam B meeting. While I
appreciate the thought put forth on strawman proposal, I believe this
proposal is way too premature and is not the next logical step in our
process.

As I understand our charter, we had the following tasks:

(1) Identify topics on which further action in the form of amendments to
the RAA may be desirable;

             (2) From list (1), flag any topics that may require further
analysis as to impact on consensus policy;

            (3) Propose next steps for considering such topics.

Task 1, we have completed. Task 2, in my mind, would be making a
determination as to whether certain topics may be the subject of a
consensus policy. I don't think we've successfully completed that yet.
In fact, in the document titled "Proposed Amendment for the RAA" has
"consensus policies" as a "no discussion" point on the last page.  More
importantly, I am not comfortable with any document that is produced by
the group that is titled "Sub Group B- Proposed Amendments", because the
group has not come to any agreement as to whether the amendments we have
brainstormed and placed in our spreadsheet should actually be proposed
for the RAA.  This concern is what prompted my question on Thursday as
to whether the document would be circulated wider than the WG.

I always believed, perhaps mistakenly, that the next step is to produce
our spreadsheet for comment by the Council or perhaps other stakeholder
groups (following Tim Cole's second bullet point in the document Margie
provided) but certainly not to make recommendation as to which proposals
should become actual amendments.  Further, I do not believe that the
next step should be to have ICANN staff draft actual amendments for
later negotiations.

I was looking at our proposed Timetable Version 1. dated 1/24/10 and,
according to this timetable, we are supposed to be drafting a report to
the Council.  At this point it seems to me, our report is simply our
list of the topics we have collected that are appropriate for the RAA
and not to make any recommendations for any specific amendments or to
put forward a proposal for drafting amendments.

That is my perspective. I hope others agree.

 Statton Hammock
 Sr. Director, Law, Policy & Business Affairs

P 703-668-5515  M 703-624-5031 <http://www.networksolutions.com>
www.networksolutions.com