ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

RE: [gnso-raa-b] Is there any revision to the US supreme court ruling of 2000 that "Internet domain names are a new form of intellectual property"?

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-raa-b] Is there any revision to the US supreme court ruling of 2000 that "Internet domain names are a new form of intellectual property"?
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:20:47 +0000

To be clear: There has been no US Supreme Court decision on the legal status of
domains.

If there ever is, it will apply to domains over which US courts have
jurisdiction -- that is, those in which the registrar (e.g., Network Solutions)
or registry operator (e.g., VeriSign) are located within the US. It would also
be applicable to .us domains, since that is the ccTLD for the US.

As for domains that are ccTLDs of other nations, or where the registrar or
registry operator is located outside the US. while laws such as the ACPA may
assert in rem jurisdiction and one might get a US court to issue a judgment,
enforcing it would be quite another matter.

As ccTLDs continue to constitute a growing portion of total domains, and when
new gTLDs crop up with the registry operator outside the US, the jurisdiction
of US courts over the total domain space will decrease.

As for internal ICANN administrative remedies such as UDRP, it applies to all
gTLDs regardless of primary locus but is not applicable to any ccTLD (although
some ccTLDs have, on their own, adopted UDRP-like processes to deal with
alleged rights infringement).

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
202-347-6875 (office)
202-347-6876 (fax)
202-255-6172 (cell)
"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey