ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

RE: [gnso-raa-b] Is there any revision to the US supreme court ruling of 2000 that "Internet domain names are a new form of intellectual property"?

  • To: "Trachtenberg, Marc H." <MTrachtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>, "Hammock, Statton" <shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-raa-b] Is there any revision to the US supreme court ruling of 2000 that "Internet domain names are a new form of intellectual property"?
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:10:37 +0000

Completely agree with Marc's response.

Also, as regards your statement -
"Due to the global nature of domain names, for the sake of uniformity and
universality, it requires an international judicial position to decide on the
ownership aspects / rights of a domain name.  This is possibly a topic for the
ICANN community and the GAC to examine."-
I would respectfully disagree.

ICANN is the technical manager/coordinator of the DNS and, while an arbitration
system for trademark disputes relating to domains (the UDRP) has been part of
its mission statement since day one, ICANN is not a legislative or judicial
body and therefore is not the place in which the question of whether or not a
domain constitutes a form of property should be resolved.

As I recently wrote on a  related topic
(http://www.circleid.com/posts/google_ebay_keywords_domains_icann/ ):

ICANN has a responsibility to upheld established trademark law in the DNS. But
ICANN also has a responsibility to see that rights protections in the DNS are
informed by and are consistent with an evolving legal landscape. Indeed, ICANN
lacks any authority to establish DNS rights protections that are not firmly
grounded in established law as ICANN has no legislative powers to promulgate
new trademark policy.

That is, just as I believe that the rights to be protected by any new RPMs must
be limited to trademark rights established by national legislatures as
interpreted by the courts (or by international treaty or agreement), ICANN
similarly lacks any authority to establish the legal status of domains as
property, or not.