ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration Abuse Policies - draft charter for review

  • To: <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration Abuse Policies - draft charter for review
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:26:36 -0500

Thanks for your edits, Mike.  My suggestions to the group are:

* Page 1: Suggest we change "would have the objective to prepare the ground
for the launch of a PDP" to "would have the objective to prepare the ground
for the possible launch of a PDP".  This helps make clear that a PDP is one
possible path.

* Workshop, Topic #2: add "registrars" so as to read: "A number of
registries and registrars have already implemented abuse policies."

* Workshop, Topic #4: This topic confuses the issue, and I suggest that we
discuss dropping it.  Domain use abuse is out of scope for policy-making,
and "broad concern in the community" about use abuse is not a good reason to
include it in this workshop.  Parties such as RISG and APWG are concerned
only with mitigating domain use abuses.  Their initiatives are about domain
take-down efforts, the relevance of which to our WG is unknown and therefore
premature.

Instead, perhaps Topic #1 should include some discussion of what domain use
abuse is, which could help define what registration abuse is and is not.
That would then make #2 and #3 more fruitful as well.

With best wishes,

--Greg Aaron

  _____