ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] For your review - Updated Charter and workshop outline

  • To: "'James M. Bladel'" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] For your review - Updated Charter and workshop outline
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:37:44 -0500

Yes, I see now the point about that sentence construction.  How about this
instead:

<snip>

Additional research and identifying concrete policy issues ?
The issues report outlines a number of areas where additional research would
be needed in order to understand what problems may exist in relation to
registration abuse and their scope, and to fully appreciate the current
practices of contracted parties, including research to:

-       'Understand if registration abuses are occurring that might be
curtailed or better addressed if consistent registration abuse policies were
established'
-       'Determine if and how registration abuse is dealt with in those
registries [and registrars] that do not have any specific [policies] in
place?
-       ?Identify how these registration abuse provisions are implemented in
practice or deemed effective in addressing registration abuse?.
-    The drafting group recommends that additional research be conducted to
include the practices of relevant entities other than the contracted
parties, such as abusers, registrants, law enforcement, service providers,
and so on.

</snip>

I removed the formulation "abusers and contracted parties," which is
probably not the best available.  The GNSO Council resolution never actually
mentioned abusers as a party that must be studied.  The Issues Report
mentioned contracted parties and "a diversity of existing and potential
registrants."  (Still looking through the IR though...)

All best,
--Greg