ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] REMINDER: For review - draft motion

  • To: "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] REMINDER: For review - draft motion
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:40:53 -0500

Under the "Best Practices" part of the agenda, I suggest we use this revised
sentence:

"A number of contracted parties have implemented policies prohibiting
abusive registrations and/or abusive uses, and a number of non-contracted
parties have experience with the enforcement of policies and practices that
prohibit abusive domain name registrations and/or abusive uses."

"And/or" may more accurately describes the current landscape, and gives
appropriate wiggle room since "registration abuse" is not well-defined.  For
example, some of the registry and registrar policies mentioned in the Issues
Report are relevant to abusive domain name _uses_ only.   Some
non-contracted parties specialize in abusive use mitigation (such as
phishing or spam), while other non-contracted parties might do work relevant
to registration abuse work only (whatever "registration abuse" can be
defined as), and perhaps some do both.

All best,

--Greg

  _____