ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: What about unauthorized registrations? Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Updated document and wiki pages

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: What about unauthorized registrations? Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Updated document and wiki pages
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:44:33 +0100

In message <30602228-1C63-427C-B942-3A1F2AFA593D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 15:48:18 on Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
So perusing this list again, it struck me that we've done a great job capturing what potentially abusive things people are doing with domains they do register, but not how they're actually registering them, outside of perhaps front running and a kind of "side effect" abuse of false whois data.  I could argue (but won't get drawn into that with this post) that the other two "registration" abuses we have listed are really post-registration abuse (mis)use (cybersquatting, inappropriate use of whois), as that's where the harm is really felt

Isn't Front Running just cybersquatting perpetrated by registrars?

[remember: not all "rights" are exclusively held by trademark owners. You have a "right" to register names under a first-come-first-served rule in most(?) registries, and also a right to register with anyone (not just the registrar you queried). The Front Runner is abusing those rights, and then cybersquatting 'your' domain.]
--
Roland Perry