ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:33:56 -0400

Dear group:

Below is the revised note as per today's meeting; please review it for
accuracy.  Members absent from today's meeting are free to comment (but
please listen to today's MP3 first -- linked on page
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#july).  If you would like to see any changes
to the below, please post specifics to the list by 22:00 UTC on Thursday the
23rd.  Lack of comment will be taken as your assent.

All best,

--Greg A.

**********************************

Dear Avri, Chuck, and Mike:

I am writing to you on behalf of the Registration Abuse Policies Working
Group (RAPWG), which would like to provide you with a scope update.

As you know, the RAPWG charter contains the broad mandate to "identify which
aspects of the subject of registration abuse are within ICANN's mission to
address and which are within the set of topics on which ICANN may establish
policies that are binding on gTLD registry operators and ICANN-accredited
registrars," and to "gather facts, define terms, provide the appropriate
focus and definition of the policy issue(s), if any, to be addressed."

During the RAPWG's work, the issue of WHOIS has been raised.  WHOIS is a
topic within GNSO policy-making scope, an area around which there are abuse
and compliance issues, and WHOIS issues are a factor in other abuse topics.
We are also aware of the very long history of WHOIS discussions in the GNSO,
and WHOIS efforts the GNSO currently has underway. (See:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/ ).

Because of the past and present GNSO efforts, the RAPWG has decided that it
will a) leave WHOIS off its list of registration abuses for major
examination, research, and recommendation-making, and b) will include
examples and background in its report when WHOIS issues are a factor in
other abuse issues.  We believe that this will allow us to make relevant
comments while avoiding duplication of previous and current GNSO efforts
regarding WHOIS.

The RAPWG discussed the issue in its meetings of July 6 and 20, and came to
unanimous consensus on the above approach in its July 20th meeting (support:
James Bladel, Berry Cobb, Philip Corwin, Frederick Felman, Jeremy Hitchcock,
George Kirikos, Mike O'Connor, Gretchen Olive, Rod Rasmussen, Mike
Rodenbaugh, Faisal Shah, Andy Steingruebl, Martin Sutton, Greg Aaron.
Alternate views: none.  Abstentions: none.)

We believe this course is consistent with our charter.  Please let us know
if the Council disagrees with this course, or if you have any questions.

In the meantime, the RAPWG is working on a long list of other topics,
including examinations of cybersquatting, front-running, and
cybercrime-related issues.  A full list is in the latest "RAPWG Abuse
Categories and Types" document at:
https://st.icann.org/reg-abuse-wg/index.cgi?registration_abuse_policies_work
ing_group

Thank you.