ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:29:46 +0100

In message <20090722090027.9c1b16d3983f34082b49b9baf8cec04a.3f7d9445ab.wbe@xxxxxxxxx ureserver.net>, at 09:00:27 on Wed, 22 Jul 2009, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Too often, ICANN working groups will devolve into "dueling anecdotes,"
and the conversations hit an impasse.  Until we have something to better
inform our deliberations, I think we should avoid any type of deep-dive
into the subject.

I think what you are trying to say is that the conversation often doesn't converge. What we should all strive to do is learn about the world from different perspectives.

Of course there is much being done in some areas of abuse prevention by registrars. I also see at first hand a great reluctance to deal with individual "traditional" criminal activity (eg fraud and harassment, not simply domain hijacking), on the grounds that it's the courts/police job to do that. Which in one sense is true, but for a more level playing field it would help if the bad guys couldn't be anonymous quite so easily.

I'd like to see us talking more about real-world issues where domain names are a facilitator, rather than assuming that the main problem is squabbles over trademarks.
--
Roland Perry